Whazzit? Growin in my pasture

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This vine is growing in our pasture. I don't know where it came from. Last year I saw one growing elsewhere and it had a small oblong fruit that smelled and had seeds like a cucumber.

7949_whazzit_vine.jpg

Close up of the leaf

7949_whazzit_leaf.jpg

Close up of the flower

7949_whazzit_flower.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks like some sort of cucumber with those small yellow flowers. have you ever seen anything growing from it besides the vines and flowers?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure does look like a "wild" cucumber. Keep an eye on it- and take a picture of the fruit. Are your animals eating it?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horses aren't eating it, just don't know where the devil it came from or what it is.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid in San Diego vines like you describe grew in the open areas. It smelled bad and had a fruit that turned into a gourd.
Seems very like what you have there.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
do you suppose birds planted it there? I am sure its a wild plant . Possible gourds. Kinda of common here in southern Arizona desert. They get to be a size of softballs. Please let us know when you get something !!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Do you think this might be it:

Apodanthera undulata (click)

You can click on the thumbnails on that page but none of those pictures seem very good. Here are more from Western New Mexico University (click).

There is also a burr cucumber that I came across at wildflowers.org but you didn't describe the fruit that way.

Steve
It's close, but that is not it. The leaves are not fuzzy and the fruit is smaller, oblong and smells like a cucumber.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm gonna get trashbags and go pull them up. I don't want them, I want GRASS!!!! :lol:

Latest posts