when are my tomatoes going to ripen

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have tons on the vines...they look beautiful...but I have yet to get a ripe one even the cherries have not started to ripen... I am afraid they will all pop at the same time...I will need a good salsa recipe

also why havent I gotten any peppers on my plants...no flowers yet...it has been too cold...New England weather gotta love it

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in zone 4, and have just spotted a few pinkish tomatoes!! It does feel like it is taking forever! We finally have had a little warm weather and my pepper plants are starting to take off...Patience!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They need that heat to ripen! My tomatoes have been ripening and producing like crazy... but I have 100's that are green, and it just doesn't seem right I get to pick only a handful of cherries a day, while I'm slicing tomatoes are WAY behind!? :/

Maybe the mad amounts of rain, the odd cool nights?!

CARS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've eaten a few cherry tomatoes, literally a couple :D

But yes, it has been cool this year. Everything seems to be late :(

Keep the faith. If they are there they are bound to ripen eventually!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For heat lovers like peppers, if you have any wall-o-waters that will still fit over the plants, it'd be worth putting them on if you can do so without smooshing the plant.

If you are more ambitious you can knock together a sort of topless greenhouse out of old storm windows and/or old glass doors and/or transparent plastic Palruf panels from home depot; the idea is to make glass 'walls' around the pepper patch, to heat them up more during the day and help hold a little heat at night. If it is a sunny day, leave the top open, otherwise (and at night) you can throw something light and somewhat permeable, like a floating row cover, over the assembly for a bit more warmth. (You may need some sort of props to keep it from squishing the plants, depending on the size of your pepper patch).

I've got one jalapeno fair-sized and a bunch more just starting to set, but my peppers are in pots on the front deck in a serious 'heat trap' created by the s-facing front of the house and the garage wall to the W. *One* tomato (in garden) has turned orange, I am hoping it may be edible in a week or so.

Good luck, have fun, try planting a bunch more lettuce (either that will cause this longtermweather pattern to break, which will help with the peppers and tomatoes and corn, or if not then you'll get a great second crop out of this very lettuce-friendly weather :p)

Pat

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in southeastern Indiana - zone 6 - and I JUST started getting tomatoes last week. We've had plenty of rain here, but the temps have been about 10 degrees cooler than normal. :rolleyes:

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow-I've been eating tomatoes for a couple of months now. :weee:weee

(Finally!!!!! Usually I come on here and feel sooooooo "I'm not worthy!":bow)

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We've had a cool summer here in MN with losts of 70's days and even high 60's. I'm still waiting for my tomatoes to turn red also.

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
mine have just stated to ripen and now they seem to do it all at once!