When are pawpaws are ripe?

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
After 20 plus years my pawpaws finally have 2 fruits.
They are small 2" and green.
How can you tell when they are ripe?
They are also about 10' up and the trees are on the side of a steep wooded ravine so I don't have easy access.
I have an apple piker on an extension pole that I can use to pick them but obviously can't test for softness beforehand.
Will they shake loose when ripe?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start looking around Sept 15th for the wild ones around here, around until the last of the month. The longer they can stay on, the better they'll taste (especially if they get a frost, although they seldom make it that far).

The wildlife dearly love them and you have to be quick or they'll beat you to them. They should at least be soft, the green color will get pale, you'll see some spots starting. To tell the truth though, paw paws are absolutely at their best when they are downright UGLY. The blacker they are, the syrupy-sweeter they'll be. Prior to that, they are still good, but will have a faint bitter aftertaste. They do not keep long at all once they're off the tree. Better not to pick them, shake the tree or let them drop on their own.

Keep a close eye on them, check them daily. Hopefully you'll catch them at a good point between "too green" and "turkey/deer food". ;)

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidelines!!
I hope I don't miss my opportunity to catch them at their best.
Having never tasted a pawpaw, this should be quite an experience.
I'll be on critter patrol for the next few weeks, then!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup Hope you get to enjoy them, especially since you planted those. They really are an unusual fruit!

Latest posts