When bringing plants indoors for the winter.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
I found that the media itself can be the source of fungus gnats when I planted the orchid seedlings that had been growing in sealed sterile media for several months.
The seedlings were planted in new, unopened, sphagnum moss and placed in a grow chamber completely enclosed. After only a few days I noticed a gnat on one of the pots when I opened the container.
Immediately I placed a sticky pad in the container to determine the extent of the problem. Soon there were several more gnats on the sticky pad so I concluded that the eggs must lie dormant in the media, and, as I had had the media, sealed, from the supplier for about two years they can probably lie dormant for years until conditions are favorable.
The plants are being treated with gnatrol, hydrogen peroxide and submersion for several minutes. I count the gnats on the pad daily and there has not been a single new arrival in weeks.
Jack

View attachment 30113
oh...my...you count them....When mine get bad I find they congregate on the sun filled windoows of my greenhouse. I use "House Guardian Insect Spray" from Gardens Alive. It is claimed t be organic. It kills them on contact. If I see any on the soil I use the soil drench with hydrogen peroxide. You must be vigilant when growing plants from seed.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh...my...you count them....When mine get bad I find they congregate on the sun filled windoows of my greenhouse. I use "House Guardian Insect Spray" from Gardens Alive. It is claimed t be organic. It kills them on contact. If I see any on the soil I use the soil drench with hydrogen peroxide. You must be vigilant when growing plants from seed.
Thankfully, I don't have that many so counting is not a big deal. Right now there are 13 on the trap which I consider a major infestation, however, that number has remained static for some time. If I even see one I go insane.:eek:

Last edited:

Latest posts