When Do I Start My Seeds?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's what I do for my home in the US:

Go to the National Climate Data Center's Freeze/Frost Data Page and select a state.

That will load a short pdf page. On it, you can find your nearest weather station.

The Spring Date column -- I look right in the middle at the 50% probability.

On the Threshold side -- I look right in the middle again at 32F.

I don't have to be 90% certain and I've never understood the idea that 36 could be a frost. Just hit the center point - that's good enough for 2 months out.

Two months out is about when I sprinkle the seed of those plants that need the earliest start. So, that's weeks prior to that last frost date:

Peppers: 6-8 weeks
Eggplant: 4-6 weeks
Tomatoes: 4-6 weeks

I don't put all my eggs (or seeds, in this case) in one basket. I try for one-half in the first sowing and the other half, about 10 days later. If spring comes early, I've got some plants to set out. If there's a delay, not all my plants are becoming root-bound and suffering from needing to stay indoors.

Some of the cool-season plants will go out in the garden before the last frost but the seed starting dates are about the same as the warm-season plants. These plants just don't seem to need as much time indoors getting ready for their garden debuts. I don't "push" them much, however. Hard frost doesn't do any growing plant any good, even if it doesn't actually kill them.

Onions: 6-8 weeks
Cabbage, Broccoli: 4-6 weeks
Lettuce: 4-6 weeks

Fairly simple but you have to set a date, work backwards and don't commit all your seeds to such a long-range forecast. At least, that's about what I'm up to at this time of year :).

Steve

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
well I am bummed

my significant little micro climate is not listed

nothing in another pocket like mine is mentioned either

thanks anyway ..such good info I wish I could use it...

guess I will go back to my usual science ..over start ..over plant ..follow the moon..take some chances, wear moss on my head and light a candle for hope :)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great link, Steve... and advice. Thanks!

I have not done the two planting times ... spring just never seems to arrive here early ... :/
The things I won't push planting out are tomatoes and peppers, never before the night temps are above 50F.
From my experience, if they shiver it sets them back a month and end up producing less.
I can't mess around much with the few spare minutes in my short growing season... :tools

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I can't get the 4-pack tomatoes or eggplant into the ground because cold weather lingers. The answer for me is to move them into 4" pots. Then the roots will have some room and in a couple of weeks, conditions should be better outdoors.

I've only got so much room indoors for the larger pots, however.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started using styrofoam cups a few years ago. I start them in either a plastic dish then transplant them and then move them into coffee size cups or plant them directly into the cups. The small packs or peat pots do not allow enough room for the plants to do well. I even reuse the cups if they are torn up. Some get crushed if not I rinse them out stack them up and back into the basement with the rest of my starter stuff.

Latest posts