when do potatoes .....

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay all of my potato plants are between 1-2 feet tall. Shouldn't there be some potatoes on them by now?
I used the soil to keep mounding them for a while and then switched to the straw.
I hear different things about how high you are suppose to mound. I have heard anywhere between leaving just the tops exposed and leaving at least 8 inches exposed.
What does everyone else here do and when do you start to see the potatoes. I am about half to three quarter of the way to the maturity date depending which variety I planted.

bluebirdfarm

Sprout
Reaction score
hi , u do not see the potatoes as they grow underneath the plant , either in the ground or in the mulch.
LOL
:th

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know that you don't see them sprouting from the top of the plant, :rolleyes: I have moved the straw aside when I mulch to check it out and there is nothing there.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have your plants got flowers yet? Once you have flowers you know your plants are making taters. It seems the last two years I've planted taters its is usually a month or so after flowers that I can get some baby taters. I am impatiently waiting on mine now. I keep my tops exposed and put new straw on when they grow 2-4 inches above it.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahh, exactly the information I was looking for. I was afraid I wasn't covering them up enough. I don't have any flowers yet so that is why I don't see any little spuds down there. Thanks so much, its good to know I am on the right track.:)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wait for flowers and for the greenery to yellow or die back a bit. Although, we always feel around under the ground to sneak a few before digging them all :D

Latest posts