When do you harvest cilantro? *PIC*

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are Cilantro is big but I don't know when to pick it. Any help? Is there a size rule or anything?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I feel that anytime after they are well established, which is to say about as tall as my hand is long (I don't have a very big hand.), they can handle some of the outer leaves being picked.

If you wait too long, it will go to seed. If that should happen, you can use the seeds for spice, or to replant the plants....or both! :)

Good luck! :)

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I feel that anytime after they are well established, which is to say about as tall as my hand is long (I don't have a very big hand.), they can handle some of the outer leaves being picked.

If you wait too long, it will go to seed. If that should happen, you can use the seeds for spice, or to replant the plants....or both! :)

Good luck! :)
hmmm. the leaves are about the size of quarters -/+

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would only pick the larger leaves for now and wait for it to re-grow.

And unless your seelling the herbs, you can pick some leaves everytime you need them for cooking.

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I pick the leaf not the stem right? then I dry it out.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, just pick the leaves.

I would think you'd want to use them fresh, as you pick them.

Plant more now so that you will continue to have a constant supply of fresh leaves all through the season! :happy_flower

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Depends on how you plan to use it. In Latin cooking, its used fresh. I would pick it when it resembles Italian flat leaf parsley. If it goes to seed, its prob too late. But let it go to seed and then you won't have to plant it for a few years. I think the flower might also attract beneficial insects. I think the seeds are used in Indian cooking. The seeds of the cilantro plant are the spice coriander.

ticks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
here is a pic of it.
028-2.jpg

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
aquarose said:
I think the seeds are used in Indian cooking. The seeds of the cilantro plant are the spice coriander.
The seeds are also used in Mexican recipes. Not everyone uses the same recipe, of course, but some chile powders, for example, including mine, include some ground coriander seeds. :)

Latest posts