When do you harvest cilantro? *PIC*

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After harvesting the tan coriander seeds, and drying them in bunches, what next? How is it ground at some point into powder? We accidentally grew TONS of it, which had self-seeded...how long will it store well?

omran

Sprout
Reaction score
chickaD said:
After harvesting the tan coriander seeds, and drying them in bunches, what next? How is it ground at some point into powder? We accidentally grew TONS of it, which had self-seeded...how long will it store well?
if it became dry you can store itfor almost a year without any problems.
you can harvest celantro after the leaves start to become big enough ( you can tell) and I would cut it from down above the ground almost 1/2" because it grow up fast.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just cut off a bit from the plant as I need it. When it starts to get hot here they go to seed quicky. I harvest much of the seed, for replanting the next fall, or use it in recipes.

The seed will keep for a few years, once ground, it begins to lose flavor in a few months.

I know some people when they have a large crop, chop up the cilantro and freeze it for use in soups, or salsas. I have never done it. But sounds like a good idea. Of course we have cilantro all year in the grocery stores here for about 50 cents a bunch.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think cilantro is a cut and come again plant. I always just lop off the top what I need at the time and it always grows back by the time I need more. Kind of like chives.

Latest posts