When do you plant bulbs?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My flower garden is glorious in the summer, but spring is practically over before it has any flowers. I decided to get some bulbs to add color for the spring. I got crocuses, daffodils, and tulips.

Do I plant them right now and they'll come up when it's time, or do I wait for spring? There's no instructions on the box, so I don't even know if you're supposed to do anything sepcial with them.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My flower garden is glorious in the summer, but spring is practically over before it has any flowers. I decided to get some bulbs to add color for the spring. I got crocuses, daffodils, and tulips.

Do I plant them right now and they'll come up when it's time, or do I wait for spring? There's no instructions on the box, so I don't even know if you're supposed to do anything special with them.
Plant them now. Most of them need to be in the ground in the fall. There should be somewhere that says how deep to plant them.

Gladiolus bulbs get planted in the spring.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant them now. Most of them need to be in the ground in the fall. There should be somewhere that says how deep to plant them.

Gladiolus bulbs get planted in the spring.
Thanks!! I'll plant them tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be nice. :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bulbs and our clay get along nicely. I try to plant just as the wet season begins to avoid watering so much in the fall or just as the warmth of spring shows up in March. We have no frost line so I plant for drainage and wet seasons.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
anytime the next few months. i've gone as far as planting them the day before the ground has frozen and they'll likely be ok. better to get them in about a month before the ground freezes.

a general rule which works ok for most spring flowering bulbs is to put them down three times the size of the bulb. if you have digging creatures like chipmunks around the crocuses can go deeper. daffodils will be the only ones to survive if you have deer and rabbits around a lot.

drainage is important for tulips, they like it dry in the mid-to-later summer. but i also have to say that it will depend upon which varieties you have as to how well they may survive or continue.

Latest posts