When Do You Repair / Replace

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because the more crap they have on them the harder it is for the average person to repair and they can make $$ on replacement parts? I don't know.
Maybe I'm just way below average in my preferences.

With some management I think that is part of it. And don't forget the labor part of the repairs, they probably make more profit there than on the parts. Some companies do the "planned obsolescence" thing too.

The bottom line is profits, that's why they are in business. If they don't make a profit they are not in business. Have you ever heard the phrase "Nothing personal, just business"?

There are a lot of different factors, it's not as simple as some people like to think. But can you imagine how long something would last with all the knowledge they have now if they really wanted to build something simple and with the right materials? I don't expect to see that in my lifetime.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner should choose my words more cautiously. I have no doubt that China, Korea, India labor builds as well as American labor. My problem is they work for slave labor and our work force can't compete.

In terms of appliances, we don't engineer them to last or use quality, so they don't last.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love my Kenmore appliances, and will even buy used and repair them myself. That's what I have now, a used Kenmre series 90 washer I purchased in 2008, when I relocated here to SC in '08. I have repaired it twice....blows my husbands mind that I fix and repair mechanical stuff. Oh well.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Company I work for has went to crew cab, 4 WD pick ups from extended cab 2WD. Why? Re sale value. No one wants an extended cab 2 WD pick up.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems I'm off the beaten path again... that's been the story of my life, so I'm sticking to the script. :D

I've always had good luck with Whirlpool. The refrigerator & upright freezer I bought from them (in 1985 or '86, can't remember which) still work perfectly. Bought a Whirlpool washer & drier from them in 1979, which I had until about 2002... it broke a few times, but their tech support walked me through the repairs, and it was easy to order parts. I replaced the old washer & drier with a Whirlpool front loader set 15 years ago, and gave the old set to the daughter when she moved into her first place.

Haven't had any experience with Kenmore appliances, other than the water softener & humidifier that were in my home when I bought it. The humidifier (located in the return duct to the furnace) sprang a leak internally, and destroyed my furnace. :somad Fortunately, there was a silver lining to that dark cloud. The furnace (a York) had a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger, which had rusted through. The heat exchanger was no longer available, so the dealer gave me a new furnace for free.:ya

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, Moxie, we are in the same boat. my dad was an old school mechanic & you could say he still is now that he's retired. he taught me a lot of things growing up. i got to work on old boat engines & occasionally some car repairs with him, also taught me some small engine repair with my tiller & when we flew RC planes. i've done a few repairs to my own cars/truck & my DH's car in the past. things my dh was willing to spend much more than he should with the dealership on a car long past the warranty. if i'm unsure of something i will call dad or use the internet to research it. even learned how to restart the furnace & a few other things my DH was willing to call the repair man about.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My two neices are like you two gals also. Their husbands are not remotely mechanically inclined, but they work on the cars, and fix their own appliances. I salute all you mechanical women!

Latest posts