When Garden Help Goes Wrong

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was shocked when I watched waterman pour a gallon of bleach into my well. I forgot why he did it. Water test I did before buying came back safe to drink.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The addition of bleach to a well is a suggested prevention technique to offset physical disturbance of the well interior. It is not needed on any regular basis, but may allay problems from the accidental introduction of bacteria at the time well work is done.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was shocked when I watched waterman pour a gallon of bleach into my well. I forgot why he did it. Water test I did before buying came back safe to drink.
I had to work on our ranch's water line from the well. The County Water Quality folks said to pour a cup of chlorine down the well to have safe drinking water . We could taste the chlorine for the next 2 weeks.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I have an understanding. I nurture. He kills. When applied in the correct setting, his gardening skills are desirable and effective. :p

Bleach, preferably powdered form which stores longer, is good to have on hand to purify water on an emergency. You have to let it sit 24 hours though before drinking. By that time most of the chlorine evaporates.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

At our old place we had a lot of fine tree roots getting into our well. We were told that bleach would kill them.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent a small fortune on a water system to take the smell out of water. My well man just suggested some new equipment for about $3,000. I hate well water would rather get a monthly bill like city house.