When Garden Help Goes Wrong

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW will only drink boiled water from the tap.

She isn't much of a coffee or tea drinker but drinks several bottles of water every day. I don't complain about environmental or household costs. She needs to drink water and I may not drink enough. I will set tap water down beside me and forget to drink it. I guess that I should try to learn to like simple, hot water! I probably drink too much tea and coffee every day ... you couldn't really prove it by me ;).

Since I like tea and coffee and do not like my tap water, I must just be avoiding it. I have to be pretty dang thirsty to stop at the sink, fill a glass and just drink the water!

A lot has to do with dissolved minerals in this community well water. However, it has chlorine and I can easily smell that. Boiling it or running it thru the coffee maker helps probably only some. Shoot, I hate the idea of having a delivery guy show up with the bottled water!

digitS'

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a hard time drinking water out of the tap. I can taste the chlorine and salts. We used a stainless steel water distiller for 20 some years and I got so used to that, that any other water tasted bad.
The distiller wore out and is expensive to replace so we went with a British Berkefeld unit that uses ceramic filters. We're real happy with it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary problem is I never know they are going to do it. I like the parking lot and front lawn and garden very neat. Guys just do what they feel needs to be done to keep that way.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary problem is I never know they are going to do it. I like the parking lot and front lawn and garden very neat. Guys just do what they feel needs to be done to keep that way.
That's why you need to be crystal clear when you hire them. I would also make it clear that if they cleaned my fountain, that's the last of them!

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do most of the garden work. At our old house, I did most of the garden, DH liked to come home from work and water it, which was fine with me. He also liked to pick tomatoes and was also fine with me.

Our new garden, DH, Robert and I fenced it. DH and Robert hauled 5 year old wood chips and I pushed them in a pile while they went back for more. Later I used the tractor to put the aged wood chips in the garden.

Because DH had shoulder replacement surgery in February and was bored, I invited him to help me plant seeds in little peat pellets. He was enchanted by the way they swelled up when water was added. He enjoyed planting the seeds and we had a nice afternoon together.

I have planted the seeds and the plants. The garden is more my thing than it is my husbands. He loves eating what comes out of it! Today while I planted plants from our seed planting party, he watered the garden and paid careful attention to the new plants I had just planted. He did a good job. I appreciated the help.

Nyboy, we don't hire people to work in the garden. We hired people to cut dangerous dead trees, with rotten branches that could fall on our heads if we tried to take them down ourselves. The foreman of the power line cleaning crew that is currently parking their trucks and equipment on our place has a friend that is a professional at that sort of thing. On two different occasions, they have come out and taken down 15 trees. The "friend" strapped on climbing spikes, climbed the trees, chainsawed off branches, tied off rope on sections, with the crew foreman pulling on it, while he lopped it down in sections. Some of the trees were huge, very big around and stabbing the sky with dead tree tops. We were VERY glad to get them down!

But we have had employees at a previous business we had, so I understand your frustration. In our case, we were in a poor county and the available labor force made for some mighty slim pickings. At least your employees genuinely are trying to make your place of business look nice.

Latest posts