When is a good time to plant seeds indoors?

Usc529

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
last year i started late april-may. this year i wanna do it early probably only doing corn seeds and a few tomatoes is now (feb) a good month to start your seeds? then transplant them in the ground around april 1? any help would be great thanks :tools

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most things I've read say to start them 6-8 weeks before your last frost date. I started spinach and broccoli a couple of weeks go, and am starting tomatoes and peppers now, betting on being able to put them out in early April.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In your zone, yes, I would think now is a good time. I can't really see why you would transplant corn? Even here in zone 4, we can direct seed that. Have you tried that before? What other things are you planning for your garden? So jealous that your spring is right around the corner!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
some veggies don't transplant very well. if you have an early corn i wouldn't worry about starting them indoors. if it is a late producing corn you can start them indoors. i have bought corn that had been started at a local greenhouse and they did well. if we didn't have such a dry summer last year and i didn't have 'giant' rodent issues i might have actually seen more ears out of my corn!

peppers would be good to start soon too!

if you know your area's last frost date you could use this handy tool! the neat thing is your frost date doesn't usually change from year to year! so print this out and keep it with your seeds! http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx??source=HomeSeedCalc0111

Usc529

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
In your zone, yes, I would think now is a good time. I can't really see why you would transplant corn? Even here in zone 4, we can direct seed that. Have you tried that before? What other things are you planning for your garden? So jealous that your spring is right around the corner!
okay great i have already started some tomatoe seeds and im gonna plant corn to but wasnt sure if you could direct plant those. never tried corn before. my garden this year will consist of tomatoes,onions,cucumbers,corn,okra, and potatoes. pretty sure im gonna buy mostly plants,only gonna seed some tomatoes and all the corn. any good ideas on the corn? thanks for your information

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Usc529 and welcome! I just have to ask. Based on your user name, will you be planting Clemson spineless for your okra? :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usc529 will get that Bid, for the rest of us -- it is a Clemson University vs USC thing ;).

Well, Clemson is the Cooperative Extension source for South Carolina AND they say about corn: "Not Successfully Transplanted by Usual Methods." Starting Seed Indoors (click). "These crops are best planted in individual containers, cubes, blocks or pellets by usual methods because any root disturbance hinders growth."

I don't know . . . corn is a grass. I think rice and most grasses transplants well. Honestly, I've been tempted to start corn indoors and transplant it.

Steve
Welcome Usc529, :frow

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
USC welcome, I was just going to direct you to Steves post with frost charts and seed starting dates but I see that he beat me to it. Good info on that post for guys like me with not much experience at it.

Latest posts