When is the corn ready to harvest

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My stepmom always said when the slik turns dark brown. Do any of you have different thoughts on this?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I check mine. You can peek once the ears look pretty nicely filled out.

Pull back the husk, and put pressure on a kernel. If it gives without a lot of effort, and the liquid is a nice translucent-milky color, it's probably ready. Of course, tasting is the best way to know if you are right! :)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of corn.

For sweet corn, yeah, the silk will turn brown and dry up, but you also have to go out and pull back some shucks and look. Sweet corn starts out mostly white, so if you planted yellow corn, you just look for it to turn the expected shade of yellow. If you planted white corn, you have to have some idea of how big the ears should get and shuck a few to see how the kernels are coming along. There's also Triple Play and Rainbow Inca that change colors when they are ready to eat as sweet corn. This is convenient if you have a spouse who can't pick a good ear out of a bin at the farmer's market.

For popcorn and feed corn, you wait until late September or thereabouts--it should be well-dried on the stalk.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I got my eye on one or two that I will be checking Monday.

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted a Bantam Variety of corn this year in early April, over the past few days many of the silky tassles have turned brown and come loose if you touch them.

Could my corn be ready to harvest already?

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well while checking a few ears of corn this am I noticed those dang Japaneese Beatles just munching away on the sliks. Soooooooo I picked as many as I thought would be ready and had DH spray the ears and ground with liquid sevin and told him to stay away from the tassell on top as the bees were working very hard there.

Some of the corn was ready and some needed a few more days. I got 28 ears that I did up for corn on the cob, 22 ears will go for cut corn.

Also while walking through I noticed a lot and I do mean a lot of stalks that had no ears on them at all. The variety is Increadible, I planted it last year and now I remember it did not do so great last year eigther but I just thought I got it out too late.

Next year I will go back to Peaches and Cream, the only reason I did not use that kind this year is I could not find seeds localy, so will order them for next year.

Nancy

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would definitely check it, Dogginfox. Last year my corn did pretty much the same. It was Painted Mountain.

I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble, RockyTopSis. It does sound like that's not the variety for you. I hope that things work out for what's left.