When to plant carrots.

Carrot lover

Sprout
Reaction score
So I know you are supposed to plant carrots 3 weeks before your last frost, so for me in zone 5 is around April 24. But won’t the frost kill the seeds? Help!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carrots are very cold hardy. Frost will not kill seed as they are protected by the soil when you plant them. I live in zone 5 and do my carrot planting all at once in Mid may which in northern Illinois is about our last expected frost. For good germination soil temperatures should be at least above 45 degrees. Carrots don't seem to germinate well for me when it gets very warm in summer which is June through August. After planting seed 1/4 inch deep you need to keep the area where you planted moist not super soaking wet. Soil should be broken up well so it is not lumpy but has a smooth texture before you plant.

After planting two rows of Atomic Red carrots about 20 feet long in my backyard flowerbed about the 15th of May. This is what they looked like on June 2nd and the second photos is what they looked like June 27th.

I probably could have planted my carrots even earlier. Probably around May 1st. I picked a period where I thought it was still going to be just cool and planted them. I probably would not go a whole lot beyond Mid May to plant carrots. This flowerbed also is not in direct sunlight until 1:30 in the afternoon. My backyard is on the west side of my house. Carrots being a root crop can be grown with only 4 hours a day of exposure to direct sunlight.

I allow my carrots to grow as big as I can get them. Will clean and blanch them for freezing in October. They will steam up tender when I eat them. I will probably get 70 to 80 lbs out of these two rows.

Backyard Flowerbed-6-2-19.jpg
June 2, 2019

IMG_0040.jpg
June 27, 2019

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Certain crops like carrots, beets, turnips, green peas, kale, and chard can take a little frost. A hard freeze can kill them, so when overnight temperatures are forecast for the mid to lower 20's or below I cover them with an old sheet. The last frost date is just an estimate, it can vary each year, but you have to use something to go by. Knowing to cover them with cloth (not plastic) when colder weather is forecast is good to know.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Carrot lover, Welcome to TEG. I hope you have great luck with your carrots. Next spring, I suppose? You can be getting your carrot patch ready so all you have to do is dribble the seed in when the time comes.

Latest posts