When to turn the lights on? ACK!! post 29

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, you know I don't know much about keeping chickens, but my feeling is that morning light would add warmth during that coldest part of the day.

I can easily be wrong of course.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring. The sun takes care of it for me.

I really dont think it matters unless it is a question of your convenience. I assume it will be on a timer.

Ive heard to do it in the morning so they wont be caught off the roost when the lights suddenly go out at night. From what Ive seen of mine when Im down there after dark and use the lights I really dont think that is an issue.

This is probably overthinking it, but if I were to do it before the Winter solstice, Id do it morning and night both. Just have a set time for the lights to come on in the morning and a set time for them to go off at night. The length of day factors into it some, but the big issue is the days getting shorter. If you have it come on in the morning only, its still going to be getting dark earlier so the days will keep getting shorter.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Thistle'. I was just thinking that your lights might be going off because of the 20mph sustained winds and 30+mph gusts! Supposed to go higher before they abate.

A few thousand customers without power in the Sandpoint area.

Lights for the hen house? I just settled on picking the longest day of the year, set the indoor light to that with the timer, and leave it year-around.

My coop light draws so little power and provides benefit for so much of the 8 months that the window/door is open that I never change the schedule. The screen if off and that insulated door is back in place as of today. Unless I open it a little for ventilation (along with the pop door), it will remain closed for the next 4 months. It is on the north side of the coop anyway but its a big vent when it's open thru the summer. Now, it's closed and the only source of light in the coop is the light bulb.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The reason I am wondering is because with the last batch of hens I had the lights go on before it was totally black outside and it seemed to confuse them. I found them huddling under the coop where it was dark, and had to crawl under and pull them out to put them in the coop.
So, after a few nights of that I waited until it was really dark before the light went on, which meant they were all settled, the light comes on, they then mill around, the light goes OFF, and they have to find they're way back on the roost...

Probably not a big deal in the big picture, but I wondered how all of you chicken genius types did it... I do think I like Ridges suggestion about splitting the time between a.m and p.m..

Any more thoughts?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think most folks that use lights to prolong egg laying set it up to light up early.
I have a string of solar Christmas lights out there. They come on at dusk and run out of power about an hour or so later. I haven't noticed that they have any effect on egg laying, but they make the head count quick and easy. And since that's all I'm wanting from them, it works out good.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If my DH ever "gets around to" fixing a timer and cord out in the coop, my plan is to have a light come on in the morning. Without a timer, it would be more convenient to turn it on and off in the PM, but, as some here have mentioned, it may make it harder for the girls to find their roost. I was going to use that same power cord to provide heat to my new chickies, but I ended up having to get them out of the house due to their size and smell, etc, so I had to do it without heat. It's OK now, but we may not ever get another egg till March. :( (If you are wondering why I haven't done it myself, I was all set to do it, but DH thinks he needs to do it, a more professional and safe installation, taking a lot more time and money, and a big chance of never getting done. :rolleyes:)
BTW, the integration of new and old chickens has gone really well so far, knock wood. Yesterday I finally took down the wire partition that separated them in the coop. It was about a month process, introducing them slowly. But no bloody chickies. :weee

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do it at night. It encourages them to go into the henhouse at dusk when the light goes on. And who wants them crowing at 4:00 AM? Although they do that when there's a full moon!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I have done it, I add the light to the morning hours. Since your chickens are young- I am not sure you will really need light to increase laying? So sad to be thinking about shorter days...

Latest posts