When you plant pumpkin

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've put away some seeds and I like to put a little card with them that tells me when to plant next year. I could only afford to buy like 3 little pumpkins this year, and I would like to have my porch full of carved pumpkins next year...so, solution... grow my own! :D

When should I plant to have a good harvest for October next year?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It would depend on your weather and zone. Here in zone 4, I get mine in after all danger of frost, late May or early June. I've been harvesting Sept/Oct. Good luck!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
in pa I usually plant mid june, 3 to a mound about 5 feet apart

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd try to find three or four varieties to plant, if you have the space.

One, because they give you a defense against one variety failing.

Two, because some of them are better for food than others.

Three, because a variety of them make for better decorations than a single one. Colors, shapes, sizes, etc.

I wish we had more room for squash, but I'd have to tear out roses in the front yard. We'll plant some at my son's place, and see what we get.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think a garden is complete without pumpkins! :D I wish you success with your patch this coming year.

You are zone 7 too, aren't you? Here we either start ours outside in late May or indoors if it is too cold and then transplant out some time in June when the weather improves.

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I start mine indoors on heat pads and grow lights, I then harden them in my little shelf system/greenhouse for a couple of weeks in April, and plant them in May (California, Zone Wierd)....multiple varieties are great to grow for decoration and the fun of seeing how big you can get them. We accidentally grew our first large pumpkins hanging on the honeysuckle vines, they were 78 pounds.
Pumpkins are great fun!
Tina

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... thanks for all the great info! I cleared out the mess of trumpet vine by the pond close to where my duck pen will be. I was thinking perhaps planting my pumpkin these would be perfect.

I'm planning on getting some 'indian pumpkin' as I was told it was by the farm stand. Apparently its a wonderful baking pumpkin with a tan flesh. :p

I have my fingers cross these do well, more for fun then anything else, but I'll put them out in may.... and have to fight to keep the trumpet vine away. EVIL EVIL trumpet vine kills everything. :/

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
you can just get the garden ready before last frost, and since they are seeds you can plant them whenever you like (as long as it is close to spring) they will come up when they are ready, and they will be tough that way too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I may just wait until right after thanksgiving then. It may be a nice surprise for next year ;)

Latest posts