Where can I buy snowdrops

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source of snowdrop bulbs? The only ones I've found on line are $13.95 plus shipping for 25 bulbs. As small as they are, a mass planting would cost me a fortune.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Schroeder, these plants just aren't as popular as they once were . . . You could find crocus for a quarter that price.

I bet you mean Galanthus snowdrops, the late-winter snowdrops that brighten the day for even the most frost-bitten gardener after a winter of snow. There's a park nearby where they bloom right on the edge of the melting snow :D.

Van Engelen has a selection of spring flowering bulbs and, usually very good prices. New Holland may have what you are looking for but I've never ordered from those folks.
I enjoy my blue and white wood hyacinths but they bloom quite a bit later. Always feel that we've finally reached warm weather when they show up :coolsun.

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest buying snowdrops now (November) anyhow, as the bulbs do not keep well and ones purchased now may not be real viable.

The best way to get snowdrops is to find someone in Springtime who has a good planting of them, then ask nicely if you could possibly dig some up as they finish flowering, to transplant. Since most people who've had snowdrops for any length of time have a good stand, it should not be hard to find someone who'll let you :)

Second best is to buy them as early in the Fall as you can find them available, then plant immediately.

As far as a mass planting goes, what you probably want to do is start with a small planting and let them multiply/seed on their own, digging up and repositioning 'spare' plants as seems appropriate. If they are happy they will spread in reasonable time; if they are not happy in the site, there was no point in wasting lotsa money buying whole bunches of 'em in the first place :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have snowdrops that have the little green spot on the scalloped edge. If that is the one you want, I would be happy to send you some in the spring. I live in Georgia, and these were transplanted from my Mama's yard in Louisiana, where they had grown for a long long time. I think they would probably survive that far north. Let me know if you would like some and I will send you a clump. They should not have trouble surviving a trip in the mail. You can PM me your mailing address and then you might also have to remind me about March.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had tons of them at my old house. I still feel bad, that I didn't dig any up... However, when I still lived there, I was always happy to share. As Pat says, if they like the spot, there will be plenty. I dug them in the spring, just before blooming. I gave them to a friend and they bloomed for her- right after transplanting. So, if you can get them, don't worry, they will grow!!! Keep us posted. In zone 4, those cheerful buds really help the winter blues!

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes, I want the ones that bloom very early in Spring - to rush the season so to speak. I've often planted spring flower bulbs even in late December. As long as the soil is not too frozen to dig. They always come up in spring. Is there a reason why this wouldn't be true for snowdrops?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Schroeder said:
I've often planted spring flower bulbs even in late December. As long as the soil is not too frozen to dig. They always come up in spring. Is there a reason why this wouldn't be true for snowdrops?
Snowdrops just aren't quite as tolerant as other bulbs. They cannot 'take a joke' as well as most other spring bulbs; they transplant best right after blooming and if bought as dry bulbs they will have the highest survival and fastest growth rates if bought early in the season.

Certainly if you want to buy some now and plant them, you can, and maybe they will do adequately, it's your money and your choice :)

Also if you wait til spring you can quite possibly score some for free from someone who's got 'em in their yard.

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
New Holland has good bulbs. Owned by the same company as Breck's

Latest posts