Where Do Fruit Flies Come From?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@NancySue , what you probably have in your houseplant soil are fungus gnats not fruit flies. Some people use traps for fruit flies. I've yet to try that.

The fruit flies only become a problem, if they are, about the time melons start rolling into the house. We always have fruit on the kitchen table but, I think, it's only when there has been weeks of fruit being available in the outdoor environment that the flies follow those melons and everything else into the kitchen. Otherwise, they aren't likely to be indoors.

Fungus gnats are living in your potting soil as larva. The same Bt strain that kills mosquitoes evidently kills fungus gnats. There is a "gnat control" product that has that biological insecticide in it but the mosquito "dunks" must be more commonly available because people use them in their ponds during the summer.

I haven't gone this route but just set the yellow sticky traps in about every second pot when the houseplants come indoors in the fall. They are not attractive but work fairly well. Most contact insecticides won't work for soil pests. I've tried spraying and it just doesn't kill the fungus gnats.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I have fungus gnats in my office, I have been finding tiny bugs. I freak out that they might be bedbugs till I see their tiny wings.

NancySue

Sprout
Reaction score
@NancySue , what you probably have in your houseplant soil are fungus gnats not fruit flies. Some people use traps for fruit flies. I've yet to try that.

The fruit flies only become a problem, if they are, about the time melons start rolling into the house. We always have fruit on the kitchen table but, I think, it's only when there has been weeks of fruit being available in the outdoor environment that the flies follow those melons and everything else into the kitchen. Otherwise, they aren't likely to be indoors.

Fungus gnats are living in your potting soil as larva. The same Bt strain that kills mosquitoes evidently kills fungus gnats. There is a "gnat control" product that has that biological insecticide in it but the mosquito "dunks" must be more commonly available because people use them in their ponds during the summer.

I haven't gone this route but just set the yellow sticky traps in about every second pot when the houseplants come indoors in the fall. They are not attractive but work fairly well. Most contact insecticides won't work for soil pests. I've tried spraying and it just doesn't kill the fungus gnats.

Steve

Latest posts