Where do you buy your seeds?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I tried that with a bag of organic peas. The germination rate was terrible. I will try it with the black eyed peas. It can't hurt to try.
I have done this, worked but expect to plant 3X more than necessary and then thin. too dry so germ is bad.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jamespm_98 said:
boggybranch said:
I know a guy that buys his pea seed at the grocery store. The regular 1 pound bag that you buy to cook (dried peas, of course).
He's been doing it for 35 years.
I planted blackeyed peas the last couple of years from dried peas I purchased at the grocery store. The elderly lady who runs one of our local feed and seed told me to do this when I asked if she had any blackeyed peas for seed. She said she did, but not to waste my money on them. For less than a dollar I got a bag of peas which I am still planting from. Don't know the variety, but they are prolific growers and seem to make peas the same as the ones in the bag.
He also gets his seed taters, garlic, bell pepper, and other peppers from the grocery store produce dept. and plants those.

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I too have planted seed from grocery produce and usually have good success. Last year I tried a few dry beans (navy, black and red) to test to see what would happen and they all grew and produced well. This year I'm planting more and will try wheatberries.
Anytime I want to plant store bought stuff, I test germination first and I figure if it sprouts, it should grow &/or produce. Just put seeds in a wet paper towel, into a plastic baggy-start checking after a week. I did that for the wheatberries about a month ago, and nearly every one sprouted. I figure I'll try for wheat, but may end up with wheat sprouts :D

I tried Territorial a few years ago to get more into saving my own seed so I didn't have to buy anymore, but didn't get good results. Probably my own fault, but I've been leary about buying from catalogs since....Though this year I might try again, maybe a different company. We shall see!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
People buy peppers and take seeds. They grow? Never thought as I can't find some varieties I want......good ideas.

Latest posts