Where I Get My News

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm puppy sitting while the women folk shop at Costco. So, the news ...

This is what breaking news is like thru Twitter: 7:10am here, NYtimes has blurb on shooting in Canadian Parliament. The shooting occurred about 15 minutes before. I went to the Toronto Globe and Mail Twitter feed for updates. They had the Twitter contacts posted less than an hour after the shooting for live comments from 5 of their reporters at the scene.

As best as I could determine, teevee on throughout, NBC didn't break in with this news until about 9:30.

I'm not saying that any of this was up to Ben Bradlee standards but still ...

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Canadian FB friend comments a short while ago that US news reports quickly mentioned ISIS while Canadian new reports have never uttered that abbreviation.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard the news on the radio shortly after 7:30 a.m. this morning as I drove home from breakfast. It started with the report of the guard being shot and was expanded from there by the time we went for a coffee break and visit at son's house. Isis wasn't mentioned (that I heard) until even later in the morning.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I want to use Twitter anymore for news ... not "breaking."

It was a very intense afternoon. I missed the first hour of the events in Southern California. And, that was okay. When I learned that the suspects were truly "at large," I decided I'd try to keep track. It was too easy!

I quickly found a retired police officer who must be some kind of wildfire consultant. You know the area and all the fires they have had the last few years. He must pay attention to all of those sorts of things. Must have one of those scanners. He also follows and retweets a wildfire television cameraman who must have been assigned to the crime scene.

These guys had all the reports and even the addresses as the police closed in on the suspects. Then, a newspaper guy who came over from Palm Springs (about 1 hour away) is right in the middle of the shootout. Pictures ...

At one point, I realize that a he has retweeted a blip from a CBS reporter back to NYC about getting out of the way. Then, that tweet is deleted ... or, at least I couldn't find it. You'd think they would have better, or enough, ways to communicate with their office without using Twitter.

Well, the police department is coming back now with a press briefing. I'm going to look for something else. Thinking on this is just too sad and too real.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't listen to "news" either. No TV here and rarely ever listen to a radio unless driving, but usually will turn the channel if it's news.

The media is so incredibly slanted and untruthful that I find it less than useless. I pretty much find out the truth of what God wants me to know in one way or another, without seeking out specific news channels or sources...I figure, if He really wants me to know something, He'll let me know. And He does.

That's sufficient for me.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What has me wondering is: :hu when this type of thing happened in Paris, it was shocking news and all the world hurried to France's side with aid and condolences, but when it happens here in the USA, BBC headlines :hu "more of the usual" for USA?

No office party disagreement could have been solved in less then half an hour with the weapons and bombs these terrorists had. This was a preplanned terrorism event.

Correct me if I am politically incorrect. . . :duc

I am also wondering if the site is still proud of its NO GUNS ALLOWED standing. That certainly worked to keep everyone safe. Only a few concealed carry holders could have made a big difference. Oh, wait, that's politically incorrect as well. . . ? :duc

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with you, Red, but in this case, I think I heard the pair had body armor on. Still stoppable, just need to aim differently, I guess.

Latest posts