Where is everybody?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, between sleeping in a little late, feeding and taking the dog out a few times today, checking chickens, delivering some eggs to a neighbor and stopping in to talk, going to see the new Hobbit movie and having some dinner, i'm finally here! time to get the wood stove cranked up and get cozy to catch up with all i've missed on TEG today!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertcat said:
Just got back from a very long and well deserved vacation! Now I'm ready to tackle Christmas and anything else that comes my way (except maybe the laundry!) :thumbsup
Didja go some where cool, like Italy? :drool

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahhh, you think it's deserted here during the day...you should try lurking around here late at night...11:40 now mountain time, not many posts at this hour!! A few night owls on TEG, but i'm betting more of you are morning people.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What!

I was up at 4am . . .

Of course, I would have slept 'til noon if'n I was in London :p.

Steve
Did you know that the states of Washington and Montana were supposed to meet? At least, that was what was proposed to the Washington territorial legislature. Their interests lay with the maritime region and the representatives had no wish to govern more mining and lumber districts.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was working, like everyone who has a job. Everyone working more hours for less money just trying to get by. I am glad I have a job though.

I am also glad you are here Hoodat. I remember when we hadn't heard from you and everyone was so worried. Christmas is just around the corner and I just wanted you to know. I actually think I am going to get some Peter Peppers in your honor this year. I remember a couple of years ago when you posted about them. So I looked them up to see what they were. Toooo Funny.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm always here. I have noticed that things are kind of slow here. I would think that just because winter is here and not much growing that there would still be a lot of talk about what people are thinking for next season.

As for me, I made room for one more fruit tree. Just can't decide/find a good pear or nectarine for my area.

Also have 2 large square planters where I have yellow roses that have blooms that only last for a couple days. I'm not happy with that so I'm thinking of replacing them with cone shape boxwoods or cone shape rosemary trees. The rosemary trees were very tiny at home depot so I didn't get them. :( Any ideas?

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I was working, like everyone who has a job. Everyone working more hours for less money just trying to get by. I am glad I have a job though.

I am also glad you are here Hoodat. I remember when we hadn't heard from you and everyone was so worried. Christmas is just around the corner and I just wanted you to know. I actually think I am going to get some Peter Peppers in your honor this year. I remember a couple of years ago when you posted about them. So I looked them up to see what they were. Toooo Funny.
I was touched by the concern of everyone during my heart operation. I'm doing great now and feeling 20 years younger.
If you want some peter pepper seed just PM me your address. I have plenty saved. Besides the humor aspect they are a nicely flavored medium heat pepper.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Also have 2 large square planters where I have yellow roses that have blooms that only last for a couple days. I'm not happy with that so I'm thinking of replacing them with cone shape boxwoods or cone shape rosemary trees. The rosemary trees were very tiny at home depot so I didn't get them. :( Any ideas?

Mary
Boxwoods are nice, but....kinda boring.
Rosemary is nice too and has a good fragrance. But you'll be doing a lot of trimming to keep it (and the boxwood ) in a nice cone shape.
That may or may not be more maintenance than you'd prefer. Personally I like that aspect of garden work. I think I have a latent bonsai gene hidden somewhere in my physiology. :p

Why don't you get a couple of nice floribunda roses with a wonderful fragrance to replace what you have now? You can't beat a blooming plant for beauty.
And that's my opinion! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, boxwoods boring? you've burst my bubble. :( I once had a rosemary cone tree about 3 ft. tall but had to get rid of it since it was planted to close to the front of the bed. I didn't mind triming it.

I do like the idea of another rose. They looks so "english" with some lobelia around it and those planters painted an espresso brown. I want roses that stay blooming for a long time before I have to dead head. Will the floribundas do that?

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are so many new rose varieties out there now!
If you have a nursery in your area that specializes in roses I suggest you make a fun day of it and browse, read tags and ask the nursery folks questions. I'm confident there are roses out there that would suit ALL of your qualifications perfectly.

If possible go to several nurseries and repeat the process above. Nurseries get different varieties in depending on who gets to order them. The person ordering may have favorites according to form, fragrance, hardiness, or popularity/salability, so each nursery could have different selections.

Latest posts