where to plant

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Absolutely! Some companion plant really well in with them, as a matter of fact, such as the basil in between the tomatoes.

There are some, however, which are permanent, and need their own place, such as rosemary.

If you need to know about a specific herb, just ask! :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Basil is quite tender, and shouldn't be a problem.

Cilantro can be kept from setting seeds, if you don't want it to have them.

Thyme could use it's own permanent space, like rosemary. :)

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think I am about borderline of those two zones too. Nope, I can barely keep rosemary alive in the winter. Thyme, sage, mints, stuff like that will overwinter. Basil, cilantro, dill, etc will not grow in the cold. Basil is very well behaved in my experience. Cilantro will reseed itself, but in a very manageable way. Dill too. Although I have read that a lot of people on this forum have trouble with dill being a bit aggressive with the reseeding. Permanent space herbs=rosemary, thyme, chives, sage, mints, ...... Plant 'em new every year (tender herbs)=basil, dill, cilantro,....... Parsley is a biennial and will last two years, but it is no good for culinary use the second year. Herbs can go just about anywhere! (be careful with the mints. do a search and you will see)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thats how my garden is, a mixture of herbs and vegetables. I actually recament having them together because of how good the herbs smell.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bunch-a-chickens said:
I heard if you keep the seeds picked off the plant will continue to grow. how many years can you do that?
What plant? Annuals want to flower and set seed, so if you keep removing the deadheads you'll prolong the life of the plant, although it will eventually die, and the term 'annual' tells you it's a one season plant. Basil is an annual, for example. Peppers, on the other hand, are actually perennials that don't make it in our climate (well, they don't where it actually gets cold, I can't speak for the very warm parts of the country). 'Picking the seeds' doesn't do anything to keep the plant going other than to make it form more fruits for us to harvest.

Latest posts