Where to plant...

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Okay... thanks guys!

I'm so glad that this resource is available!! I was talking to my mom today and she said that I shouldn't even bother with the trellis for the cucumbers. We went ahead and bought some bamboo poles that are about 4' tall and we plan on forming a teepee for them.

I'm trying not to over analyze but that's just not how my mind works I guess... hehe :p

I will try and get some pictures of everything when it's done and post for all of you! :)
Cukes need something to climb, they won't do well without horizontal somethings - if you're going to go with teepees, get some garden netting and drape it on the teepee. Hold the netting on with twist ties. You can buy it at any good garden center, it's got 4"x4" mesh. The tendrils will grab the mesh and the cukes will climb.

As for a 'trellis', it doesn't have to be anything elaborate, just a lean too of some sort, a frame with that same mesh would do.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nacho, I believe by next year you are going to have an AMAZING sense of what worked for you and what didn't and that way you can rotate your crops to where they make you happy.... as you should rotate each season anyways. This helps with the soil quaility, insect and disease control.

Everyone has given you awesome advice, so I don't want to restate anything over and over again for you.

What I think is, the first year will have many flops and so will the second year... even the third and forth. And its a GREAT thing that it happens. Its so much more important to see why something does or doesn't work rather then just hearing about it.

Plus, you have to keep in mind you climate is different then many others.... freak nature will happen... and you may even find some of the things you grew the best, you're going to hate eating and not want so much (if any) of that again. Each gardener, and garden is different.... but in the end you will love what you have, what you grew and how you grew it. Eventually you learn to just let go of the failures, learn from them and move on. That's the life of a gardener! :)

Besides, I like your set up just fine. Just check space requirements and you're good to go. ;)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only one that we MIGHT have a space issue with is the pumpkins. Everything else looks good to go!

Thank you all so very much for all of the information that you impart on me. You all have been so very helpful and I truly appreciate it!

Latest posts