Where's the Chicken Psychiatrist?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, now this certainly isn't a big problem. I'm just "conversating" here. Like talking over the fence about my chickens. But I have observed some behavior in Roger, the Evil Rooster, that I wonder about. He has always hung around with the young girls that he was raised with. They follow him around, and he bosses them around, calls them in, etc. The older 4 chooks go their own way, and seldom mingle. But now every day I see him leaving the 5 younger girls, going down to the pond where the 4 old girls hang out, and visiting with them for a while. He somehow gets the young ones to not follow him, even the one who is his shadow. He tries to mate with the old girls, but doesn't get them to cooperate most of the time. The young ones are pretty submissive. Next thing I know he is back up the hill with the young girls, milling around.
So I am wondering how he gets the young ones to stay put while he visits the old girls. There must be a whole chicken language that we don't observe.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is pretty neat. I wonder how he manages that. Maybe he gives them the stink eye o_O

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that we have about 6" of sleet, and a strong north wind, Roger is too preoccupied to try to fight with me. I am not lulled into thinking he is over his aggression, though. As soon as the ice goes away, I bet he'll be back to his old tricks. But I have a big stick, so, Ha!
My little brother and his family were visiting us over the weekend. They get such a kick out of my "pioneer wife" ways. They had to video Roger crowing and huffing and puffing. Then he cornered them in the yard, and I had to get the broom after him.... (the rooster, not my brother)

Latest posts