wherever I go...

quadcam79

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thats where i am..LOL
ok so I had to come over here from the BYC and see whats going on. I see some names I recognize.

for those who dont know me, I'm Dave from Florida..35yrs old, my fiance and i just bought a place on an acre in a semi rural area, we're working on becoming as self sufficient as possible and going to try and convert into solar and wind power.

to offset the "eco friendliness" I'm also into choppers as in motorcycles not helicopters and hot rods. i'm working on building a 79 harley ironhead chopper right now, thats my baby.

as far as gardening, i've always had a black thumb, I kill every plant I own but this year will be different. i started my seeds last week and I have some nice varieties of tomatoes as well as cucumbers, romaine lettuce, onions, green bell pepper and jalapeos sprouting up.

I'm going to transplant the seedlings to a regular garden until I can put together a greenhouse and get my aquaponic system built and cycled then most things except root veggies will be grown in there.

so there you have it

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Howdy, Dave, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

I love older motorcycles, too, my dream machine is a 62 FLH - I'm not much into the hardtails, they look nice but are a nasty seat for a long haul (at least in my experience). But it's good to be in the wind! Although these days I enjoy my garden more :watering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Dave,

You just gotta forget about using those air impact tools on the seedlings, that's all . . . (Save 'em for soil prep :) !

It really helps to go into some kind of alternative state when it comes to "material handling" in gardening. There are those who would disagree, and I'm a good example of how not to expend energy out there, but having deeply prepared, in addition to fertile, soil is a key. Having good plants to put into it is a separate process.

It may also really, really help to have the fiancee as the person who touches seedling until they reach, at least, 6 weeks of age :D . Now, this is not to say that you cannot do all this heavy-lifting by yourself. It certainly doesn't take a surgeon's or a jeweler's touch. In fact, maybe nerve-damage is a benefit at the potting table . . .

Steve

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Dave--good luck with the garden. I hear that if you polish that black thumb--it will clean up to be green--that takes lotsa work though.... :watering

quadcam79

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Howdy, Dave, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

I love older motorcycles, too, my dream machine is a 62 FLH - I'm not much into the hardtails, they look nice but are a nasty seat for a long haul (at least in my experience). But it's good to be in the wind! Although these days I enjoy my garden more :watering
I want a panhead and not a new knockoff panhead a real one.
but they are hard to find and dont come cheap.
My sporty is a rigid but i hammered out a pretty comfy seat and i'm attaching that to a mountainbike gas monoshock, luckily the roads here in Fl are pretty smooth so it shouldnt be too bad.

quadcam79

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Welcome Dave,

You just gotta forget about using those air impact tools on the seedlings, that's all . . . (Save 'em for soil prep :) !

It really helps to go into some kind of alternative state when it comes to "material handling" in gardening. There are those who would disagree, and I'm a good example of how not to expend energy out there, but having deeply prepared, in addition to fertile, soil is a key. Having good plants to put into it is a separate process.

It may also really, really help to have the fiancee as the person who touches seedling until they reach, at least, 6 weeks of age :D . Now, this is not to say that you cannot do all this heavy-lifting by yourself. It certainly doesn't take a surgeon's or a jeweler's touch. In fact, maybe nerve-damage is a benefit at the potting table . . .

Steve
man I wish had had some power tools for the soil prep right about now. theses roots around here are a killer. the other day i was out trying to landscape the front of the house and you would figure florida is all sand, should be easy to dig...well yeh except for all of the huge roots in the ground. I was wishing for a tiller more than anything but we just bought the house, moved and my GF just started a new job so a tiller is low on the priority list , a riding mower however is not.

So I managed to dig up what i wanted for landscaping, only took like 3 days LOL.

I'll take care of the seedlings, it's probably worse if i let the GF handle them :lol::lol:

Latest posts