Whew, just braved the yellow jackets ...

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
and wasps to pick pears. So far, I have almost 2 bushels. I think I have about half of them. As it got warmer, the bees really started swarming. Luckily no stings, but a yellow jacket did bite me :rolleyes:

I'm going to wait until this evening or early in the morning to get the rest.

Monday is going to be pear butter and pear jelly day! :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad you escaped unscathed (for the most part).

When is the best time to pick pears?

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine are usually ripe by the first 2 weeks of September. (Timed perfectly when yellow jackets come back, too) Some of the smaller ones are still pretty hard, but I'll let them set for a few days to soften up.

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I was a young girl, I thought ripe pears were rotten, because they were soft. I always ate the pears off the huge, old pear tree out in the cow field. I thought pears were supposed to be crunchy and tart. :rolleyes:

I remember one time in elementary school, I saw a pear while at school lunch and thought that it was great that they had whole pears for lunch, not the "fake" pears that everyone said were pears in the fruit cocktail. I bit into that whole pear and spat that bite right back out into my tray and said (very out loud), "THIS PEAR IS ROTTEN!" :ep My teacher told me it was ripe and to finish eating it. I didn't eat that "rotten" pear and ended up throwing it away. I really thought I was getting a treat, since we didn't have any back home as it was later in the season. :hit

I still don't like ripe pears.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't like pears very much either . . . maybe I should eat them before they ripen?

Do you still eat them that way, country freedom?

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I don't like pears very much either . . . maybe I should eat them before they ripen?

Do you still eat them that way, country freedom?
I still would, if I could find some. Pears just don't taste right when they're ripe.

Latest posts