Which herbs will spread and will grow in shade?

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a flower bed(empty) that is edged with concrete that I'd like to grow an edible herb ground cover in. I want the herbs to spread and kind of take care of themselves after they're established, because this area of the yard tends to get ignored. What can I grow here? I just bought Spearmint, Apple Mint, Peppermint, and thyme. I'm planning on putting the mints in there and the thyme in a pot on my porch. Would I eventually be able to root a cutting of the thyme there, too? Which other herbs can I grow there? I'm in zone 9, Fresno, CA. Thanks!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will be very sorry with all that mint. It is very invasive and impossible to control or get rid of. Make sure it does not get into your other beds.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know mint spreads, I want it to. There aren't any other beds near this one so I don't have to worry about it spreading to places I don't want it to. This home was build the year my Husband's(married wednesday!:D) grandpa was born, and Grandpa said his mom used to have mint there. I want to know what other herbs will spread, to I can add them, too. :D Thanks!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Creeping thyme makes a good ground cover that gets so thick it crowds out most weeds. It's especially nice in an area where it occasionally gets walked on. The thyme scent when you step on it is refreshing.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Mint can be a pita to control, BUT, sometimes it's the only thing that will replace deep rooted weeds, especially in places around somebody's house where the soil is un-amended clay. I gave my mother some mint and it won't spread next to her house bc of the VERY poor soil. If you take the time to "weed" it on the edges, and mow it for garden mulch before it goes to seed, it can be very useful.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't think of any herb that the mint is not likely to crowd out unless you are willing to work it pretty hard. You did mention this area gets ignored.

I don't know what variety will work for you in zone 9, but you might look at Oregano. It is hardy and will spread a lot on its own. It might stand up to the mint, but I'd bet on the mint.

What does the group think of Lemon Balm? It's big enough and vigorous enough that it might have a chance, not to take over but to at least co-exist.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, catjac! And everyone else, too! That's funny that you mentioned thyme, hoodat, because I was just researching last night about making a lawn out of wooly thyme. Maybe I'll get some creeping thyme for the edges and let it spread. I love it's smell almost more than the taste:D. I'll have to look for some comfrey, too. :) I'm wanting to go for the overgrown, cottage garden look in most of the yard except the garden. I want mostly everything to be useful in some way, with some purely ornamentals along the way.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
amandacv86 said:
Thanks, catjac! And everyone else, too! That's funny that you mentioned thyme, hoodat, because I was just researching last night about making a lawn out of wooly thyme. Maybe I'll get some creeping thyme for the edges and let it spread. I love it's smell almost more than the taste:D. I'll have to look for some comfrey, too. :) I'm wanting to go for the overgrown, cottage garden look in most of the yard except the garden. I want mostly everything to be useful in some way, with some purely ornamentals along the way.
I like your plan. I love the cottage look. Congrats to the newlyweds. :) and :welcome

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a small bed - about 4 x 10, that is bordered on two sides by sidewalk, and two sides by the house. I have Beebalm, 3 or 4 different mints, lemon balm and some thyme. used to be some chamomile in there too,but it gave up I guess. There's also a mini rose, "The Fairy". and columbines have also volunteered in there. Against the house are the tall rudbeckias that develop a cone like echinacea.

It all exists nicely together, I cut the mint down when it gets tall and wants to bloom. I do the same with the lemon balm.

Oops, I just realized you're talking about shade - this is half day sun.

Mints and lemon balm will do okay in shade, as well as sweet woodruff.

Latest posts