Which herbs will spread and will grow in shade?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The mints here are on the north side of most everything - except in the front yard.

The chives are in the shadiest part of the yard. It is wet shade, not near a tree but on the north side of a board fence and the east side of the carport roof. The plants do very well in that location but I don't know if chives could stand up to the mints. There is some oregano nearby and it keeps that from spreading but this might not be the best location for oregano. Especially, the conditions aren't likely to allow the plants to develop much flavor.

Best of Luck, Amandacv86!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just fed the horses and chickens some comfrey. The horses couldn't get enough! It has been horrible for us to control, but That seems to be what you want. It is beautiful.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Trillium and hosta are also good if you don't mind taller plants. The trillium has a nice flower. Hosta spreads thickand fast and can be invasive.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Again, thanks to everyone! I'm writing down all of your suggestions, even if I don't use them in this area. We have a pretty large corner lot and I'm going to need a lot of plants to keep up with my cottage garden look. This house was built in 1926 and I think it will look beautiful, after a few years, though. I have a very limited budget so I have to add things as I can afford them.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just planted some bloodroot. It grows in full shade, will spread and likes thick humus compost so under thick trees is great.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Trillium and hosta are also good if you don't mind taller plants. The trillium has a nice flower. Hosta spreads thickand fast and can be invasive.
And I just found out that Hosta is edible. People eat the new leaves as they come up before they unfurl

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you do put the Thyme in after the mint, put the Thyme where it'll get a bit more light. Thyme will not thrive in much shade, but just kind of hang on in too much shade.

If you do put Lemonbalm in, bear in mind it'll grow a bit taller. If Beebalm, that'll grow even taller flowering stems.

Hosta makes a nice leaf set and only wants blue sky for light. I don't know if it is edible though. Creeping Charley does well with Hosta. Purple leaved Bugleweed is real pretty in the same conditions. There are wild bugleweeds...deja vu moment...

Shade gardens do best with very deep composty humussy soil and a loosened well draining base under it. Kept moist and fertile, with the plants arranged for their light requirements.

Ligularia is a plant I call the shade sunflower. Likes morning only sun.
Alchemilla can take lots of filtered sun and puts out a nice spray of baby's breath type airy flowers.
Huechera is another tolerant one. It comes in several species.

There are mints with variegated leaves that are real pretty. I think one is called pineapple mint.

If you really want a shade spreader for a cottage garden...think blackberry...it'll grow in shade, but not produce much in the shade. Same with some varieties of Strawberry. Will grow in shade, but not produce much.

All this shade growth invites slugs and shade garden bugs. Be prepared for solutions and preventions.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love the idea of blackberries! Also, I keep forgetting that in a few months our car port will be taken down and there will be more sunlight there. TY for all of your suggestions!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pleasure Amanda. I'm sure we all pretty much enjoy helping each other here.

With that carport down Hostas might get too much light? Most of the other things can probably take light increase, more or less.

Latest posts