which seedlings do I need to repot?

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Are there certain types of plants (tomato, broccoli, peppers, etc.) that should be repotted after sprouting? Will all plants be better if repotted? I read somewhere that only tomatoes will establish more roots if repotted, not other types of plants. Is this correct? I think my seedlings are all doing pretty well after I figured out what I should be doing with the lights. It just seems like a lot of work to have to keep repotting EVERYTHING. I also read that plants should be repotted 3 times before going to the garden. Can someone please clarify?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
First of all, how far are you from a last frost date? If you can begin to get things in the garden, you may not need to re-pot at all. You certainly do not need to re-pot three times. If you started seeds in a seed starting mix (not potting soil) you may find re-potting is worthwhile.

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in zone 6. I was really anxious to start seeds, so I started my tomatoes and peppers already. They are only a couple inches tall. I'm just looking ahead.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am in zone 5b with a frost free date of May 20. I have my peppers started as well as my tomatoes. I do repot. It is a personal choice. I like to start them earlier because I think the bigger plants produce faster in my shorter season. I also think that repotting tomato plants benefits them. When you repot you bury the stem in the soil up to the bottom leaves. If you repot a second time (sometimes I do) I remove the bottom leaves and bury it deeper because everything under the soil sprout roots. This increases the amount of water and nutrients the plant can take in during the season. If in doubt and you want to see if it makes a difference.... repot half and see what difference it makes.

Celery, is a plant that must be repotted before it is planted. I don't know why, this is my first year growing it but that is what my book said.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never repot much of anything unless I want an extra early tomato plant, broccoli, eggplant, and hard to grow flowers i.e.: double datura. I only do a few of these the rest seem to fare all right. Not enough time or space to repot every thing.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I only repot if I have started seeds in a tray, when the seedlings get big enough I move each to an individual pot. Since I live in zone 8 I don't have to wait as long to plant out into the garden though. I do transplant my tomatoes deep, up to the bottom leaves. All of the hairs on the stem become roots and you get a sturdier, healthier plant, in my expierence.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would just use the common sense rule of repotting if the seedlings are outgrowing the present pot and your garden isn't yet ready for them. The one thing you don't want is to let the plants become potbound to the point where the roots are strangling one another. Remember that when repotted the new roots will dive to the bottom of the pot and not use the rest of the potting soil till they are forced up by crowding.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have heard so many tomato experts say to repot about 3x before you put them into your garden. You wait until they have several sets of leaves before repotting the 1st time. You bury up to the top leaves. The lower leaves will form roots. THIS is why you do it, to put a really good root system on your plants.
I've also heard of digging a trench for your tomato plants that have gotten leggy, but, again, I think those should be repotted first.
If you do this, your tomatoes can become droughtproof pretty quickly, especially if you bed is all tilled up, like in a raised bed.
I just read about another vegetable that you can do this with as well, buy my book is at home. I'll get back to you on that next week. :D

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I repotted the tomatos and peppers into red solo cups once they got crowded in the pony packs. I will have to do the same this year, it is still a long way from planting those things in the garden.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I repot my tomato sprouts from a 3 ounce cup, to a 9 ounce cup, to a 20 ounce cup, then if the spring is still cold, to a gallon pot... Becuase without a 10+ week head start, I'd get nary a cherry tomato.