which variety of green beans to can?

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I hope I'm posting in the right place. My question is what green beans are best for canning? 2 years ago I got a good seed variety (can't remember what it was) that was great. However, last year my husband bought some seeds and planted those and they were very stringy. My kids snapped them for me and I didn't realize they were stringy until opening a jar to eat. It was like eating hair.:sick They went to the chickens. What do I need to get for canning? I want to try lima/butter beans too. Any ideas what seeds I need to buy?Thanks

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just read about this , I'll see if I can find some info.
I saw it in one of my seed catalogs, it gives suggestions on what kinds of veggies are good for what.
You could probably ask whatever companies you normally do business with what they suggest.
Bummer that you did all the work of canning and they didn't turn out so great.

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I only plant one kind of green bean. Blue Lake bush bean. In my area they grow wonderfully, and the finished canned product is great.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2dream said:
I only plant one kind of green bean. Blue Lake bush bean. In my area they grow wonderfully, and the finished canned product is great.
That is my choice also. Blue Lake Bush Bean.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just bought some of those seeds to try, along with some pole beans. I read on Cornell that pole beans are much higher producers than bush beans. I figured I would try both and see how they both do where I live.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pole beans produce over a longer period of time, as long as you keep them picked you'll get more. I grow both, the bush beans and the pole beans, the bush beans are done and then the pole beans kick right in.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvesting at just the right moment is sometimes a real trick. Too late and the beans are stringy, too early and they are just kind of a line of green on the plate with no flavor :/.

I used to grow Kentucky Wonder pole beans every year and still love the flavor. However, DW decided that they were too homely compared to others. My neighbor has Kentucky Blue pole beans and those are real nice. I think that with their dark, dark color - they'd hold up well to canning or freezing.

"Jade" has become quite popular in recent years. It would have to be called a Blue Lake-type. I grow mostly this bush bean variety :) and if they don't get beaten up too badly, they will produce a 2nd crop.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was told that green giant green beans are the blue lake pole beans. Its all my grandparents ever grew because they could can it and eat fresh....

This is my chose this year as well.

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. If I remember correctly, the green bean seeds that my DH bought were brown in color. I will get the Blue lake variety. Last time I asked the nursery about which beans can better, they looked at me as if I came from another planet. :ep But it was a young kid.

Latest posts