Whining about cilantro..

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I saved seeds- but I can't find them. I felt so sad about it...Then, I was looking closely at my new asparagus bed (which used to be my herb garden) and it is full of self-seeding cilantro!! I was wandering around the yard and looking at another garden (20 feet away) and you guessed it- it is full of baby cilantro! So, I guess we will be having salsa after all. Nature is so cool! I'm bound to find those seeds now!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My best cilantro plants of the year are the ones that over-winter. There won't be many because the gardens are tilled but if some are missed, those will be big, robust plants.

I've whined about cilantro's short season. I can't get it to grow well outside of a few weeks early in the season. And yet, it is available in the store year-around :/?

I complained to a knowledgeable gardener and was told that it is grown in greenhouses . . . year-around. Oh.

So, keeping it from burning up in the summer is possible. Maybe I could use a shade cloth.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved mine last year...The problem is the cilantro is ready way before the tomatoes. I am hoping to plant a second time, and get the two ready for salsa at the same time. Maybe I'll find my seeds by then! LOL I would definitely try a shade, it would be worth it! Nothing like fresh herbs!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow the cilantro and parsley right under my tomato plants

every now and then I have to dig the whole thing out and just move them

I use the cilantro root in soup it is very good

Mahonri

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Anybody else but me HATE cilantro?

Went to Miguels once and asked if they had any plates made without cilantro. When they said no, I got up and walked out.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mahonri said:
Anybody else but me HATE cilantro?

Went to Miguels once and asked if they had any plates made without cilantro. When they said no, I got up and walked out.
No, your not alone i'll admit i Hate cilantro, i dont know it has a bad smell to it, its not a nice fresh smell. I can't personally stand it, to be honest. You wont find this herb growing in my herb garden.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to hate cilantro too ( I thought it tasted soapy). Then I visited friends in Mexico where it seemed to me that it was used in most dishes there & suddenly I changed my mind & I have eaten it ever since. I now can't understand why I hated it so much & I even grow it.

A couple of years ago I saw a gardening programme on TV; an Asian gardener was talking about the difficulties of growing it. He said that he always gently crushed the seeds with a stone before sowing; not grinding it but just slightly breaking the shell of the seed. It does help with better,faster germination.

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can take it in small doses, too much and it does taste soapy to me. I don't hate it, it's just not my favorite.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I liked it from the get-go :p.

I can understand the idea of a "soapy" taste but, then, I probably ate dirt as a little kid :cool:.

Try to think of it as a "citrusy" flavor. Maybe that would help ;).

Steve

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like it so long as it's not the MAIN taste. I want my salsa to taste like tomatoes and peppers with just a hint of the other seasonings. I like that fresh from the garden "I'm a tomato" taste. Greg is actually mildly allergic to cilantro and it makes him sick.

Latest posts