Whining about cilantro..

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use it in my Thai dishes (spring rolls and pad thai esp :drool ) and I love it with all of my Mexican dishes I make. I use a ton of it in my chicken tortillia soup. I always grew it in Texas as part of my "Salsa Garden", but have not tried to grow it yet up here. I was assuming that it was still too cool.

Hidelight, have you got cilantro yet? My tomatoes got mad when I stuck them in the ground too early, they withered away along with my basil. :(

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think right about now would be a good time to start cilantro here, big brown horse. We are running a little behind this year, so it is hard to say for sure.

We use tons of cilantro -- Mexican dishes, Indian dishes, and also Thai dishes. We usually have to buy it weekly and can't seem to be able to grow enough of our own.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mahonri said:
Anybody else but me HATE cilantro?

Went to Miguels once and asked if they had any plates made without cilantro. When they said no, I got up and walked out.
I used to hate cilantro. It tasted like "dishwater" to me.

But.... living here in the Southwest, you grow to like it. It is an acquired taste to be sure.

Now I grow it. We can only grow it here in the winter.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I think right about now would be a good time to start cilantro here, big brown horse. We are running a little behind this year, so it is hard to say for sure.

We use tons of cilantro -- Mexican dishes, Indian dishes, and also Thai dishes. We usually have to buy it weekly and can't seem to be able to grow enough of our own.
Thanks for the tip! I'll go get some seeds today.

Look out your window, isn't it a glorious day?! It is supposed to be 79 degrees on Monday! I'm not ready, I am still hot from 30+ years in Houston!!

(It is almost the weekend!:weee )

Cilantro is used more heavily in pico, salsa which is cooked has hints of it. But it can stand up to the strong flavors of raw onion, garlic, lemon juice, and diced tomato. Put it in a half of an avacado add a bit of sea salt and man o man you will change your mind!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pico de gallo, that is. Yes, that is what we make when we make salsa. I have yet to actually cook or can any homemade salsa, since we never ever have enough tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!

Big brown horse -- I am planning to try another sowing too, as my first one did not seem particularly keen on the weather. Yes, it is looking to be a nice day and a nice weekend. 79???!!! :th I have one of those digital weather station thingees and it seems to be predicting rain, of all things. LOL :hu

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes pico de gallo. Sorry, I have to stop assuming that everyone speaks (abbreviated) Spanish! (Don't get it in your eye-o!)

I just got back from the garden market with a bag of cilantro seeds :D. I am going to plunk them in the garden right now!:coolsun

Rain? Oh well, anything is better than Houston's weather. Did you know it rains more there than here? Big flooding problems in Houston all summer long with lightning and thunder, very dramatic.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't doubt it . . . we are so very dry in the summer.

We need a smiley for a seed sprouting! I would use it right now! Anyway, I hope those cilantro seeds hurry up and sprout for you!

My weather station might just be messin' with me. I hear the forecast is for nothing but :coolsun .

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you DrakeMaiden!

I'll share my pico de gallo recipe:

1 jalapeno seeded and cored then diced (don't be a sissy!)
1-2 garlic cloves minced or mashed with a brick (my style)
1 large tomato or 2 smaller diced
1/2 med red onion diced
sea salt to taste
juice from one lemon squeezed hard
handful of chopped cilantro

Add it all together let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two (best) or serve right away. Good the next day too.

Great topped onto an avacado, with tortillia chips, grilled chicken breast, fish etc. :drool

This recipe was given to me by my friend from Mexico City years back.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, our recipe is a little on the sissy side of things (no jalapeno), but we usually only use it in burritos or on nachos that have plenty of hot sauce mixed in already. If we used it straight on tortilla chips, we'd have to add some heat. We also use a lot more tomatoes to red onion. Otherwise our recipe is about the same. Definitely not skimpy on the garlic.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:lol:

You can mix it up anyway you want! I love red onion though, and garlic...no vampires at our house! (Just lots of toothbrushing and mouth washin'...:gig)

The jalapenos are so mild these days I barely notice them. Those darn Aggies (Texas A n M University) cooled them down a bit. :old When I was a kid... youch they were hot!!

Latest posts