white flower growing wild from bulb

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I need help identifying this white flower that grows wild from a bulb in west Georgia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10803470@N00/4524073018/in/set-72157623509414409/

(There are a couple of other pics in the set with more details of the flower.)

Those pictures are from spring, but I saw one blooming this week and dug it up for a friend. I *think* it's the same flower, is it common for something to bloom both spring and fall?

Thanks,
Wendy

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think that's it, what I found said that it has small flowers on top of a long stem.

I do think it's a lily of some kind.

The stems are maybe 8" and the flowers are 3" or so long. (Guessing since there are none blooming just now.)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe it is a very old domesticated lily that someone planted a long time ago? It seems to me to be too elegant to be a wild one. Very pretty nonetheless! :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I can remember seeing plants like tiger lily and day lilly seeming to grow wild but if you dig deep enough into the undergrowth you find the remains of a foundation or other signs that a house had been there once upon a time.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it was planted, they scattered them *all* over the place! They come up in the fields and all over the woods.

Hmmm.... the previous owner *was* into bulbs. There are day lilies and purple bearded iris and several other things planted all around.

I'm primarily trying to make sure they are not poisonous to horses, as the strap-like leaves are coming up now and are hard to distinguish from grass.

I'll call the extension agent tomorrow and see if he knows what they are.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We get something very much like that growing here, only pale purple (mauve) in colour. Haven't seen any on my land yet, but next time I see some in flower, will get some pics and maybe we can see if it's the same plant.

Latest posts