White sticky on tomatoes

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a white moldy looking things on my tomatoes. It is sticky when you touch it. Anyone know what it might be? Beneficial or problem? Showed up when spider mite did.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could it be spittlebugs? or do you think it is actually some type of mold?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem of some sort. I doubt it's coming from the spider mites. They don't usually put out anything sticky. Can you get a picture or two?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got sticky spittle bug stuff on my sun flower stalks this year... totally gross but washable. I don't think mold would just grow on the surface unless the flesh was pierced there.

kyle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
perhaps some type of mealy or related pest?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are a rare outdoor pest here but show up on newly purchased house plants, now and then. We also had to deal with them at times in the greenhouse where I worked (back in the Pleistocene ;)).

For a tomato plant, I would first hose off the plants then allow them a day to dry. Along about sundown, I'd spray the plants with a mix of 3 tablespoons of Palmolive Green dish soap for every gallon of water.

The next morning, I'd rinse the plants with plain water, again.

Palmolive has worked just fine for me as an aphid spray. I know that mealy bugs are tougher than aphids but this might be the least toxic approach and effective.

Steve

Latest posts