White Tomesol tomato

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone grow Them? Thoughts? Free gift from Baker Creek. Not sure they are worth effort to start then replant. Don’t believe anyone will eat them due to color.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't grown them personally, but there are members offering "Tomesol White" in the SSE Yearbook. Out of 6 descriptions (one of which is by BC's founder, who is also an SSE member) the consensus is indeterminate, regular leaf, 6-8 ounces, very high yield, sweet, and one of the better white varieties. The only white tomato I presently grow is "Great White", this one sounds worth trying.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Victory Seeds describe them as "pale yellow."

They remind me of Dagma's Perfection, which I grew for several years and was happy to have. It was fairly early in my experience with mild-flavored tomatoes and a positive all-around. Except for my mistreatment.

One season, I planted some tomatoes on the south side of the plum tree near the veggie garden. The slugs moved in - disappointingly so! The next season, no tomatoes near that tree! I had the Dagma Perfection near the lawn on the border. Dang. The slugs moved in on them in a big way. Every single fruit!

It wasn't that the variety was a slug-magnet. It was location, location, location. And, a disappointed gardener who hasn't ordered from that seed source (Tomatofest) in several years. Oh, I see that Tomatofest now has the standard Perfection, also. It's smaller and the company says that it's been grown in the UK for about 200 years. (@Marie2020 ?) Tomesol looks late-season but these others are early.

Steve
nothing wrong with mild tomatoes. just adjust your expectations and menu

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone grow Them? Thoughts? Free gift from Baker Creek. Not sure they are worth effort to start then replant. Don’t believe anyone will eat them due to color.
Yes! I love that tomato, it's one of my favourites! I've grown it a number of times and it's been excellent flavoured without exception. As good as any good red. Even people who looked at it very, very suspiciously on my table, had to admit how good the taste was once they tried it. But, even saying the words 'white tomato' has made some people I've known say 'yuck' immediately. Having said that, my experience with heirloom tomatoes is that how it's grown really affects it's taste. I tend to grow my tomatoes as dry as possible, and never feed them if they aren't in a pot. I've often wondered if sometimes the tomatoes that people call 'bland' are tomato varieties whose flavours are more easily watered down by extra nutrients and water, like a rosemary plant. Some tomatoes really seem to have that 'mild' reputation, but I've seldom tasted a bland tomato and I've grown quite a few. I guess location/soil affects taste too. My White Tomesols were very close to true white, but I don't prune my plants much either, as little as possible anyway. I loved that tomato so much I've taken pictures! (Sorry the photo quality is poor, these were taken late in the day with inadequate light!)

20160919_132708_resized.jpg
20160919_120140_resized.jpg

The second picture reflects the true colour a bit better than the first one

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal Thanks for info. how are they on handling diseases? In past, most heirlooms I’ve tried had health issues. May try to start 2 plants. I’ve failed at worse things.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
how are they on handling diseases?
I have never seen them have any problems. I'm not sure why, but I've never seen a problem on any of my heirloom tomatoes. What kind of health issues did your tomato plants have? I don't grow on a market scale or anything like that, so maybe that's why. I'm only a backyard gardener.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
San Marzano, no problems. Tried 3 varieties of black tomatoes and a striped variety (local guy who sells at local markets) but they had blossom rot, white mold on stems and wilted and died. I was OK with that as people I give tomatoes to, would not eat. I tried, tasted more like stems than good tomatoes. I’m picky.
Just home gardener trying to cut back on tomatoes-I’m winning in my mind. From 100-75-50-24 that grows to 30+ before I’m done. It’s things like this that cause me to not achieve my goal of 16-20......

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
San Marzano, no problems. Tried 3 varieties of black tomatoes and a striped variety (local guy who sells at local markets) but they had blossom rot, white mold on stems and wilted and died. I was OK with that as people I give tomatoes to, would not eat. I tried, tasted more like stems than good tomatoes. I’m picky.
Just home gardener trying to cut back on tomatoes-I’m winning in my mind. From 100-75-50-24 that grows to 30+ before I’m done. It’s things like this that cause me to not achieve my goal of 16-20......
Different tomato varieties really do get dedicated followers. I think because I make a lot of different things using my tomatoes - like bruschetta, salads, grill cheese, sandwiches, spaghetti sauce - and don't often eat tomatoes on their own or with just a bit of salt and pepper like my parents did, my 'tomato taste buds' are not as aware of those other flavors that can be present in tomatoes. There are very few tomatoes I've met that I didn't like :) A few pink heirloom heirloom tomatoes I've tried were a bit sweet for my taste, I guess. But even though I'm not really choosey, I still think the best tomatoes I've ever tried in my life were green-when-ripe varieties. Aunt Ruby's German Green makes my heart sing!

Have you grown 100 tomato varieties in one season?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not varieties, plants. I lean on Better Boys. San Marzano. Big boys. Use to Early Girls that were never earlier than anything else. Rest were something that sounded good. Problem is always lost stakes so never 100% what was what except San Marzano and better boys.

Latest posts