Whiteflies got my Jersey Cabbage - question

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sprayed for over a week...insecticidal soap. It did kill what it touched, but I always seemed to miss a patch and that was all it took. I finally got disgusted and just pulled them all up and gave them to the ducks. They didn't mind the extra protein on their cabbage one bit :sick

So anyway...next year... row covers should take care of that problem, correct?

Also, what can I plant in the spot the cabbage used to be that wont turn in to whitefly food? Kale is out (they got that too). Spinach? Any other suggestions for a cool weather crop that whiteflies wont eat?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Turn the soil, air it out a few days. I would probably plant a root crop they won't bother much... like diakon or other radish. :/

I did put row covers down this year on my cabbage as I've lost the last 3 batches of cabbage to cabbage moth caterpillars. I'll update ya on how mine do. So far, I've got very little sproutage... and the little I had... ants got in under the row covers and built a super colony!!! Grrrrrr

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ooo....I do have daikon seeds.

It is airing out right now. I will give it a DE sprinkle too. I do have lettuce in half the bed. White flies didn't touch it. I could do more lettuce if the daikon doesn't work out.

Used some PVC scraps to make a hoop house cover for the bed. It can hold up a row cover next spring. For now I can use plastic for the few freezes we get right before we have months of nice weather.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I keep a sanctuary patch with plants that are attractive to both harmful insects and predators. It is never sprayed and given only enough care to keep it going. Weeds are allowed there. I credit that for having so few whitefly problems in the rest of my garden even though San Diego is whitefly heaven.

Latest posts