Who asked about using mint? Ice Cream!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Using mint was ..hmmmmm..."MMEMMEMME" and thank you sincerely. :D Aren't I in good voice today? :p

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
That looks pretty interesting.

Have you tried it?
No, but it's scheduled for tonights dinner, actually! Dh is the ice cream maker here, and I know I only have a couple more weeks to do something with my mint for the season. I've already made mint jelly, and dried mint. It will be back soon enough, but I'd like to take advantage of it while it's still at it's best.

I'm going to add miniature dark chocolate chips, because I love chocolate and mint together. I'll be sure to post on how it comes out! :)

No problem at all, Blurose! I just knew there had to be a good use, other than what we'd all thought of, for a decent amount of mint! :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mint jelly!:) Now that I should try and make, as I love it with lamb. Never have tried mint jelly on toast or anything, what else do you use it for?

I like to throw a couple of mint leaves in with a pot of boiling spuds. It adds an interesting taste to them, not strongly minty or anything wild, just a hint.

I often chiffonade ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chiffonade )some mint leaves and add them to a salad. Gives it a little zing.

I love mint, and chocolate chip ice cream, but since moving I haven't even seen my ice cream maker..:/ Must be buried in one of those hundred boxes, I haven't unpacked..:rolleyes:

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Another use for mint. Has anyone ever made a salt or sugar scrub? It is the best. You take salt or sugar(i prefer salt) and add dollar store baby oil or any baby oil you prefer. Mix in enough baby oil to soak into the salt and make it sort of spreadable. Not too oily mind you. Enough oil so you can scoop some in your hand. Add whatever essential oil you like but I love peppermint or spearmint extract as it makes it a nice fresh smell and feels great on your skin. You don't need much perhaps 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of your salt scrub. When you shower or bathe, take a small scoop in your fingers and rub wherever you want. Avoid eyes and any other er...um.. sensitive spots.:/ It is a great scrubber, and leaves your skin so soft-not oily afterwards. Use your fresh mint by boiling some off-strain if you want and mix with your salt scrub.

These scrubs sell for a lot of money in the "shee shee" boutiques. I just keep mine near my but in a dollar store plastic container with a lid. These make great presents to give as well. Very cheap to make.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nubsmum, what a great idea. Thank you. I do use a peppermint foot lotion and bet that scrub would be great on tired feet and legs, especially for diabetics like me. I would assume that you should use the kosher/coarse salt, right? If I had a bathtub, shower only here, I'd be tempted to put mint leaves in my tub water too. I bet they'd be good in my foot spa as well. I never thought of using them for other than culinary means.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use only a table salt size-in fact, I just buy cheapo table salt. The scrubs in the fancy stores are of this same size. Not a rock salt type size or sea salt. The oil just absorbs easily into the salt. Kind of like adding water to sand. If you can imagine wet sand being rubbed on your skin. In fact, it would really have the same effect. Rubs off dry skin etc. Again you can use sugar-they sell both in the fancy stores. I like salt because it is cheap and won't have a sticky feel.

One year I got some great containers from the dollar store-kind of like the old fashioned canning jar-but plastic. I made these for everyone for Christmas along with some soap and a loofa.

forgot to add, you can also color this with food coloring. It does not take much and if you only use a little it won't color your skin.

Mint has such a fresh feeling on your skin. The best shampoo I ever had was a hotel sample from staying in a fancy hotel. It was peppermint and lavender. It has such a nice fragrance and really perked you up. It sells for big bucks in a specialty store so I don't buy it. I bet you could add your own peppermint to shampoo.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about heating the oil with mint in it, letting it steep for an hour or so, then straining and using as you were going to anyway; rather than water?

This is a great idea, thanks!

I am still looking forward to our chocolate-chip mint ice cream. I didn't take into consideration how long the mix had to sit in the 'fridge.

Soooo, we now have ice cream, and I'm just waiting patiently (is my nose growing?) for dessert! :)

Latest posts