Who asked about using mint? Ice Cream!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a taste test report!!! :D

Alright, first of all, the flavor is superb! Who needs extracts?

The consistency was rather like whipping cream, so if you want it toned down a little, you could use your preferred amounts of milk and whipping cream; this recipe was 2 to 1 whipping cream to milk. Very good, but I'm just saying that it might be a little rich for some.

It was so wonderfully refreshing! And it froze perfectly!

Here's what I did:

I got cuttings from the peppermint....not the garden or spearmint.

I broke the stems and smelled them, compared them to the leaves, and decided that since it was the only flavoring, I would not put any stem pieces in, as they do have a very slight, underlying, "green" smell.

So I carefully took all the leaves off of the stems, putting them directly into the measuring cup, so I'd know when I had enough. I had a lot of teensy leaves, and used them as well.

Then I put them in a bowl of water and washed the smoke from the fires, bug slime :p and so forth off of them. Dried.

I followed the directions exactly, putting the cream, leaves, and sugar into a saucepan, and heating until just below boiling.

Then it sat on the counter, covered, for 1 hour.

After the hour I strained out the mint, stirred in the milk, and put it in the ice box overnight.

This they don't tell you, but it formed a skin. So I removed it, then it went into the ice cream maker, and before you knew it, mint ice cream! Delicious!

I'd recommend it; it may be the best use for peppermint I've tried yet, and it used 3/4 of a cup! lol! :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, that sounds just wonderful. I'm with putting all the cream in that it calls for myself, but then I don't eat much at a time. Peppermint ice cream has always been one of my faves since childhood, but I really don't like that crushed peppermint candy the commercial ice cream makers always put in. I'd try it with some dark chocolate shavings as well. YUMMM, :D and thank you for finding that recipe.

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nubsmum, GREAT idea to make a mint scrub! Sounds like a wonderful gift idea.:)

Tutter, the ice cream recipe looks easy and yummy! I think we'll try it this weekend. Maybe add in a ribbon of fudge...:p

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put little dark chocolate chips on/in mine when I served it, Blurose. I was going to add it to the ice cream, but dh said that he didn't want them in it, because they get pretty hard when frozen. I didn't mind, it was easy to add them to my own. So definitely I vote for chocolate with it! I like anything chocolate and mint, though this ice cream was good plain, too, I thought! :)

Beth, I imagine if you use the ice cream maker, then put the ice cream into the container you will freeze it in, then carefully put in the fudge ribbon, it should wotk just fine! Let us know how it is, if you try it!

Oh, and don't forget to taste it right out of the maker, everyone. Ice cream never tastes exactly the same once it's been in the freezer a while. :)

Latest posts