Who Does Windowboxes ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the look of a house with window boxes. kind of a storybook cottage look. They can be a pain to keep watered. When I moved to Westport the house was designed by Eero Saarinen. A windowbox ran along the whole 2nd floor. I could not wait to fill it with flowers, my SO who owned the house said don't bother he tried it was impossible to keep watered. One day while turning on a outside facet I noticed a pipe going up the wall, end of pipe was threaded, pipe went up wall then bent over windowbox. I just got a feeling and screwed hose to pipe and turned on water and ran upstairs to see if anything happened. The pipe ran all along box had holes which water dripped into box. Now that is good design,no wonder he is considered one of the best 20 century Architect. Now my window boxes are much smaller and on ground floor. Do you have any window boxes ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to do two but they were on the front porch railing. See if can remember what used in them....
Burgundy petunias (trailing)
Lemon colored dwarf marigolds
Light blue lobelia (non trailing)
Variegated Nepeta (trailing)
White, purple and pink Impatiens
I'm sure there was one or two more things I stuffed in, yes stuffed in, only had to last the season. I also added time release fertilizer to the planting mix.

One summer I did two huge hanging moss baskets, just to say "done that" over 120 plants in each one, it took two of us to lift them up on their very sturdy hooks, they were similar to these Victoria B.C. hanging baskets but bigger.
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 6.57.42 PM.png

It was fun while it lasted but can't do all I used to anymore, but the memories are still there:).

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to do two but they were on the front porch railing. See if can remember what used in them....
Burgundy petunias (trailing)
Lemon colored dwarf marigolds
Light blue lobelia (non trailing)
Variegated Nepeta (trailing)
White, purple and pink Impatiens
I'm sure there was one or two more things I stuffed in, yes stuffed in, only had to last the season. I also added time release fertilizer to the planting mix.

One summer I did two huge hanging moss baskets, just to say "done that" over 120 plants in each one, it took two of us to lift them up on their very sturdy hooks, they were similar to these Victoria B.C. hanging baskets but bigger.
View attachment 26048

It was fun while it lasted but can't do all I used to anymore, but the memories are still there:).

Annette

Those are beautiful Annette.
I don't have widow boxes, but do like how they make a house look so appealing and friendly.

I love designing containers, and I'm a 'stuffer' too.
You get a lot of bang for your buck when your containers are full and lush.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Built some for a previous front porch once upon a time, very long and with a hinged front so as to easily clean them out. LOVED filling those each spring and got many, many compliments on them each year. I love that cottagey look too, NY.

I love the sounds of the design of those upper story boxes with the ease of watering!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep trying different plants 2 are in full sun hard to keep watered. The water storing polymers really help. Geraniums are really the only plants that can handle the sun. I love the trailing ivy geraniums but for some reason they are very hard to find around here

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't see the trailing geraniums here either.

I do 12 large containers for one client. 5 on the deck, 5 on the dock, and 2 on the entry walk.
They're always fun to do, especially since there is no budget and I'm free to use whatever I like. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette, how much did a container with 120 plants cost to make? My containers are always sparse because I'm to cheap to put lots of plants in them. :p

Mary

Latest posts