Who Does Windowboxes ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This house would not support window boxes. So I do them on deck rail. They always suffer. Never look good. :( Better with pots, lots of pots.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Succulents like dry soil and are super easy to maintain.

Mary

....and can be very colorful. I may have posted these pics before, not mine but at a little garden center on the mainland I used to visit every spring and stock up when I was in my succulent faze...
Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 4.08.42 PM.png
DSCN4137.JPG
DSCN4140.JPG DSCN4141.JPG
DSCN4138.JPG

My first attempt at a basket...
DSCN4984.JPG

Basket picked up at a recycling depot for 50 cents

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think succulents are they way to go for Nyboy. ;) Alex, you could bring them in for the winter and they would be all ready to go for spring. For winter you could put new boxes with winter greenery and pinecones.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary that was back in the 80's, hard to remember but a 6 pack of basket stuffers cost about 49 cents. They don't sell basket stuffers like that anymore, more like $1.29 for individual plants, maybe more :(. The only way to do that now is to grow your own from seed.

Annette

Oh my! Things have sure changed. I know there are regional differences in prices that we have talked about before on here, but around here a single 4" pot with an annual will cost you $4.
A small cell six pack runs about $3.

I spend more than $300 filling 12 containers every year. Not my containers and not my money.

@ninnymary , now that you have those spiffy grow lights you should start some container plants. :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my! Things have sure changed. I know there are regional differences in prices that we have talked about before on here, but around here a single 4" pot with an annual will cost you $4.
A small cell six pack runs about $3.

I spend more than $300 filling 12 containers every year. Not my containers and not my money.

@ninnymary , now that you have those spiffy grow lights you should start some container plants. :)

I'm talking smaller pots, a 4" is probably around the same as what you qouted but they probably have 99 cents added on. The small pots I'm talking about are those flimsy pull aparts sold in 4 packs.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we love moss roses, but they start so late here from seeds that they don't tend to return easily. they get overgrown by everything else.

purselane (a related plant) is a weed here, but an edible weed. i leave some around here or there. drops a billion very tiny seeds so if you do this be prepared for endless weeding to clear it again if you decide you don't like it.

Latest posts