Who else is a first-time gardener this year?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted my first garden this year (I don't count all the years my Mom made me help do weeding and other various things in our garden when I was young). I am definitely learning a lot by trial and error. Anyone else gardening for the first time?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First time, kinda!!
We tried this about '76 or '77, put garden way too far from house. No water, no supervision, too many free loaders (wildlife). Too much work for the rewards.
This year we setup in our old riding ring, put up a good fence, water close by, (haven't needed that much this year).
Getting a lot better yield for the amount of effort put into it.
Probably will do it again in '10.
Not that this years crop is done but looking ahead I'll do some thing different, plant calif, broc, brussel sprouts earlier, better weed control, know the difference between bush and pole beans. Could have saved a lota work by not putting a fence up for the beans!!
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to tell you honestly I have been planting gardens from the time I was little

and still each year I feel like I am planting my very first garden :)

I honestly think the day it feels like I know what I am doing ..I will quit

congratulations and welcome to the best thing you can do for yourself as well as others ..planting a garden the joys and trials never end!

this feels so selfish but it is a very generous hobby as well

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Resurfacing gardener, here.
I've grown many a garden over the years and I am just coming off a 6-7 year hiatus.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am with HiDelight. I have been dabbling in gardening for a few years now. Nothing really big or consistently. I have my first big garden with 3 8 x 4 garden beds and 2 4 x 4. So I am constantly learning. I know what I want to spend more time on and what I don't want to waste my time on next year.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a big list of things I want to plant next time around. Of course, where I live, you can pretty much plant year-round so I am very lucky in that regard. I knew there had to be some kind of advantage to this horrible hot weather I suffer through!

shaggysgirl

Sprout
Reaction score
This is my first year with my own vegetable garden. Growing up we always had big gardens. And I have always had flowers and roses. Next year I want DH to make another area for more room for watermelon, pumpkins and squashes :D

Latest posts