who is a Master Gardener? I am going to do it... how about you?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to sign up to become a "Master Gardener" http://www.ahs.org/master_gardeners/

I have always wanted to do it and now I think I give a little something back to the folks who have given to me for all these years of gardening!

I think it is a great thing and do believe you need to earn your own gold in the world of gardening ..people who give advice should be people who have lived it loved it and have a history and now after all these years I think I can say ..I have I have and I have :)

Not saying you can not be a noob and do this too! Maybe if had.... I would not have made so many mistakes! Since there are tons of them in my resume ..and how they were resolved was all a good learning time.....I want to be a triage nurse with plants ..since I have been one with people it is certianly a nice way to move towards retirement ..

I do not make money at all with my garden ..in fact it costs me small fortune ..but the fun I have is beyond measure :) and I donot have to pay a therapist because of it so maybe... I come out even ;)

I am feeling a bit root bound myself and need to branch out ..(pun intended) and it is time to give the folks I have used and abused for so many years some of my time ...as a volunteer of course ..

So let's have a thread for this and I will keep you posted ..you guys if you are interested and want to join in please share!

Are you a Master Gardener?
Do you enjoy it?
dDd you enjoy the classes?
How do you give back?
Hated it?
Waste of time?

tell your stories

I will bump this thread with updates as to what happens when I find the classes ect ect ect

How about you folks who do not live in the US do you have similar programs?

I know the American Hortocultural Society includes Canada

but please share Hattie Boggy what do you guys have??? Share?

and wish me luck this is going to be "fun" no matter what ..

but maybe I want to be called "Mistress Gardener" ??? it suits me better :lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the intention of the program is laudable, but over the years I have seen such really poor advice given by some really-sincere-but-inexperienced "Master Gardeners" that I have to say I take the whole thing with a giant block of salt, sorry.

It is good for a person to do what they can to help other newer gardeners, though, for sure.

Good luck, have fun :),

Pat

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wow not me I have gotten great advice but the only issue was I was too late in asking!

my opinion is if you do not like what you see..dont bitch just go fix it improve the species buy breeding up!!! :) I bet you would be great Patandchickens you give terrific advice here! If yours are lousy then go show them how to do it!!!

we are so lucky here people are serious and I have never ever gotten poor advice ..

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like it would be interesting. The membership fee is not toooooo bad. Sounds like it requires quite a lot of time in meeting the membership obligations....then you have travel time and distance to functions and meetings (unless you are lucky enough to live in the "right" place). Almost betcha that it's geared more toward growing flowers than veggies (nothing wrong with that....just not my "cup of tea").
I say if, after reading ALL the info, you decide that you can do it and want to do it......go for. Gardening knowledge is a great thing.....no matter how you obtain it.
And, if you discover that you are getting "goober" gardening advice....you can always leave by the same door you came in.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I contacted our local extension, and the next class isn't until 2011! I have it on my calendar- I intend to do it. I can't imagine that going to classes and meetings about gardening could be anything other than wonderful! Especially, if the classes are in the dark of winter! Keep us posted! Enjoy!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks guys!

Lesa YAY!!! that is exactly how I am approaching this

and really here we have both Boggy flower folks and vegetable folks and they are full of info and advice

and it is free!!! I ask they answer like here sometimes I may not agree with the advice but if not just move on and ask someone else ...

except the "free" part it is just like healthcare in the US ..since i am a good nurse I can be a good Master Gardener!

dont like what I say move on! LOLOL!!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... that is way too much for me, but it has your name ALL over it! Go for it! You have the background to back you up... and people will appreciate you when you do.

I'm still poking around about taking the Extension Classes :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NOTHING too much for you!!! Look at all the burners you have on now! You make me tired with your exuberance and quest for knowledge I think it is right up your alley!!! and I bet you would be great at it!!!

..the classes are mostly free here that is what I have found out so take them take them take them!!!

why not?

..also they have scholarships so I do not have to pay for anything ..I can not travel now but when I am retired I would! ruminating is fun with you guys thanks :)

I am still investigating while waiting impatiently to go to for my hike!!!

why am I always ready to go 3 days before the rest of my family????