who is a Master Gardener? I am going to do it... how about you?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are, definitely, right. I am, currently, on 4 different gardening forums and this one rates as number 1. So much interaction, that stimulates thinking, acceptance of differences in opinions and not a lot of "fluff". Humor is accepted and shared along with the serious side of gardening. I am REALLY glad that I "stumbled" (something I do quite a lot on "the net") onto this forum. Have "met" sooooo many great people, here.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Gpa took the Master Gardener course where he lives in VA, and he is always getting to test out new freebie plants from the ag ext at the college. He loves it. Sometimes I get a few freebies passed down too! :weee

I say go for it! :thumbsup

One of these days, I'd like to do it too, but have NO time right now and not enough free babysitters. :p

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thats so awesome! It is totally my dream. One day when the kids are not so little or are out of the house.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
forgive my typos and spelling I am STILL trying to get used to bifocals ..

I kind of like how they make me look smart :)
Pssst! Also get some "reading" glasses. (No prescription needed.)This is not meant as an insult.

I have bifocals and they are great for everything ...but the computer. You have to tilt your head back and I was getting the worst headaches. Then I store bought me some reading glasses. Wala! What a dif! :weee

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hmmmm all I am hearing is excuses not one good reason why folks could not do something like this ..come on kids ...gardens..?????

..maybe you could take a reasonable fairly well mannered kid to the class with you?
you never know until you ask? ..or ask if they would put together classes for folks with kids and then the kids can have a set up to play while you meet?

I am thinking with something like this Master Gardening program .. there is room to work things around your needs..if not you can just hang out ..make yourself known even boardering on annoying :)

and soak up all the free info you can!!! :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
hmmmm all I am hearing is excuses not one good reason why folks could not do something like this ..come on kids ...gardens..?????

..maybe you could take a reasonable fairly well mannered kid to the class with you?
you never know until you ask? ..or ask if they would put together classes for folks with kids and then the kids can have a set up to play while you meet?
HiDelight, if you want to come up here and babysit a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old while I go to classes, and while you're doing that you will also need to fix a bunch of plumbing, take care of the animals, build two coops and a deck and keep the household running, I would be *thrilled* to wander off and take classes and do volunteer stuff and go to meetings! :p

In the absence of that happening, however, I think it is just as useful, arguably moreso, to spend what dribs and drabs of time I may have to post on this forum and help friends in this area.

This "Master Gardener" thingamajig (which I do not like that title at all) is FAR from the only way to help others ;)

Pat

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found a contact person and called two friends one who started the program and quit because of a job obligation ...and one who finished it did her volunteer time and adored every minute ..

both said to go for it
and made it sound like a good bit of work and reward

edited because it is Lent and I am going to to rid my world of snark :)

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a bit late to the conversation but thought I would share too. I just mailed my application for our Master Gardener program last week!

Our program is offered by the Penn State extension offices throughout each county in the state. Actually, my county doesn't have it's own Master Gardener program so I have to go to our neighboring county if I am accepted.

There is an orientation/introduction meeting to attend later in May along with an interview and some kind of written test. You find out in July if you've been accepted and the actual classes run from August - December.

I'm excited and nervous! :ya

Regards,

Kathy

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so excited for you Kathy keep us posted will you please

I am so on to this adventure!

was there a fee for you to do this if you do not mind my asking?

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I am so excited for you Kathy keep us posted will you please

I am so on to this adventure!

was there a fee for you to do this if you do not mind my asking?
Don't mind at all!

If accepted into the program, the fee is $150. $50 of that is what they call a "refundable deposit". If you successfully complete the training and complete 50 hours of volunteer service by 12-31-11 you get $50 back.

I've read that the program fees vary across the country, anywhere from about $60 up to $400!

Does your program have a fee?

Regards,

Kathy

Latest posts