who is a Master Gardener? I am going to do it... how about you?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kathyschix said:
HiDelight said:
I am so excited for you Kathy keep us posted will you please

I am so on to this adventure!

was there a fee for you to do this if you do not mind my asking?
Don't mind at all!

If accepted into the program, the fee is $150. $50 of that is what they call a "refundable deposit". If you successfully complete the training and complete 50 hours of volunteer service by 12-31-11 you get $50 back.

I've read that the program fees vary across the country, anywhere from about $60 up to $400!

Does your program have a fee?

Regards,

Kathy
Yes but I am having trouble finding out how much and also I have noticed there are ways to get scholarships and do it for free ..I am still waiting for an email about the schedules ..when I am off on thursday I am going to make a good effort to figure it out and get the ball rolling (work keeps getting in the way of my gardening can you imagine????)

I am going to do this regardless of cost ..I think and there is so much to learn ..

I am so glad you are doing this too and hope that more folks do

if not this particular program I am sure there are other things like garden clubs and community efforts to organize pea patches ect ..

community participation is such good cred :)
keep posting Kathy and let us know and will do the same

if this does not appeal to folks then that is fine as well ..but if it does

..I certainly think becomeing a Master Gardener it is worth a thread on the TEG !

The program itself is all about giving free help, answers and promotion of successful gardening

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I called to sign up last October and the class for March 2010 was already filled before the announcement. The next class is in 2012 which won't do me much good because from what I've read the world is ending that December. :rolleyes:
I thought the fees were surprisingly high for training for a non paying volunteer position as Master Gardener and perhaps my state isn't subsidizing any portion of it.
The paperwork for applying for the class was extensive; again a surprise for a non paying volunteer position.
Still, it must be pretty popular to fill up so quickly. If you are interested -don't wait!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think any program that offers resources and connections to get involved with the community is worth it ... esp if it's something you really enjoy.

The cost in my area is $200. (50 hours) or $250. for the online course, then 50 volunteer hours to be completed in the first year.

A few of my friends have been in the Master Gardener program for several years and truly enjoy the experience.

I have often considered it, but for years have been involved in so many other community, church and youth groups.... well I just needed a few more hours in a day ... :)

Also, when I checked into it back a few years ago, it was still very focused on 'conventional' gardening... not enough, if much at all, organic/sustainable practices for me.
I know this is a personal choice, but with the interest in organics higher in recent years, hopefully this has changed...:)

I am involved in a very large local plant swap and seed exchange and it's great even just to get together and meet people who share your gardening passion!
Good luck to you all! I'm sure it will be a fun experience! Do keep us posted ... :)

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I am resurrecting this thread to follow up on my "Master Gardener" journey so far...

I submitted my application (just a form you fill out with basic info, gardening experience and interests, etc) in early spring. Hmmm, March maybe???

The next step was to attend an initial "informational" meeting. There were three different dates and times you could choose from to suit your schedule. I attended the one at our local extension office on the Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend.

This meeting included a brief overview of the program and a presentation given by the MG coordinator in our area. Then we had to take a 100 question multiple choice test to test our current gardening knowledge. :p I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't nervous!

The MG coordinator emphasized that we weren't being "tested" for acceptance into the program...but just to see how we did. It is the same test that the MG trainees take after they complete the training. It wasn't as bad as I feared though. Don't know how I did yet!

We will be contacted in late June/early July to arrange a personal interview. Those who have been accepted into the program will find out in late July. Training will start in mid-August and go until early December. Wish me luck!

Regards,

Kathy :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I didn't realize they would be quite so picky... interesting. My area is offering a course until 2011. Keep us posted!

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Another update...

I got a call about 2 or 3 weeks ago from the MG coordinator (she conducted the info. session and administered the test back in May).

She called to schedule my interview and let me know that I got a 79 out of 100 on the test. Although the score doesn't matter too much at this time, I was pretty happy with that considering I went into it sort of blind. When the training is complete you retake the same test and have to pass with at last an 80%...so I'm almost there!

Anyway, my interview is tonight. Wish me luck! :D

Regards,

Kathy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do you wish you luck!! I am sure you will be accepted! Can't wait to hear how you like the program!!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In San Diego, they have already picked their master gardener class for 2010.

But I got on their email list, next class in....2012!

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I suppose it is time for an update :) ...

This week's class will mark the half way point in our classroom training. I've learned a great deal about just how much I don't know. :p

I don't think that I would be alone in saying that the sheer amount of information is overwhelming at times. The instructors have been great and I've enjoyed listening to each and every one of them each week.

I hope everyone is having a great fall!

Regards,

Kathy

Latest posts