who is a Master Gardener? I am going to do it... how about you?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much for the information you've shared so far. It seems amazing the mass amount of information you are trying to consume.

Good luck, and can't wait to hear how this all ends in December!!!!
:D

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello again everyone,

Happy New Year!

Another update from my MG program...the first part of the journey is over. I finished up the classes in December and passed the exam! :weee

The exam was the same one that all of the program applicants took earlier in 2010 (when they applied for the program). We needed to score at least an 80 to pass the final exam. I had scored a 79 on the initial exam so I wasn't too worried but you never know! Anyway, I scored a 99 on the final exam.

In the interest of full disclosure, our MG coordinator did allow us to access our training manuals during the final test. Her reasoning was that we are not necessarily expected to memorize and "regurgitate" the information that we have covered. We are expected to have a basic familiarity with the information and then know where to go to find complete answers. I think in some MG programs you do have to memorize ALL THE THINGS.

So the classes and test were part one. Part two is a short presentation to a group of other master gardeners. The topic we select has to be research based and approved by our MG coordinator. My presentation is in February on "Mason Bees for the Backyard Gardener."

Part three will be throughout 2011 and is the minimum of 50 hours of volunteer service to various MG activities. And then, in early 2012, I can finally "officially" call myself a master gardener. Woo!

Best regards,

Kathy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulation, Kathy!!

:clap

Now, we are gonna expect that "basic familiarity with the information" and knowledge of "where to go to find complete answers" on a regular basis here on TEG!

:celebrate
It is a wonderful volunteer program :bee, Thank You.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!! I was all set to sign up-only to find out the meetings are on the night of my workout classes. Much as I love gardening, not going to give up being in shape, for it! Maybe next year...
Looking forward to hearing about your volunteer projects...

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations Kathy!

In the interest of full disclosure, our MG coordinator did allow us to access our training manuals during the final test. Her reasoning was that we are not necessarily expected to memorize and "regurgitate" the information that we have covered. We are expected to have a basic familiarity with the information and then know where to go to find complete answers.
That makes a lot of sense to me.

Good luck on your presentation in February. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congradulations Kathy. Wished you were in my neck of the woods. Then I would really pick your brain! :D

Seems like the hard part is over. From now on, the pace will be faster. Go treat yourself for all of your hard work. I'm sure you deserve it.

Mary

reetzblak

Sprout
Reaction score
Master Gardeners are active in 50 countries in the United States and Canada in four provinces. Extension Master Gardener's 2009 survey, about 95,000 active Extension Master Gardeners who volunteer time is approximately 5 million per year to their communities.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey...how did I miss this thread?!?

I'm going on my second year as a certified Master Gardener! (well I have the title but I dunno if it's necessarily true :p) I would definitely recommend the program to anyone that is interested. It's a great way to expand your gardening knowledge, support your community, and network with other local gardeners.

I took the course at nights while I was working, but after I graduated from college....it was a way to continue my education I suppose. It was very do-able....coming from college classes, I didn't find it to be very hard academically - all of our quizzes and tests were open-book. I really enjoyed the lectures....we were able to hear from an assortment of local professionals that had years of expertise in their different fields. The classes were a great way to network for me, and the book I have now from the class is a wealth of information! It was a fun experience for me....I wish I enjoyed my college lectures as much as the MG lectures! :lol: The volunteer time went well too....got to give a presentation, redo a garden at my church (I'll have to share pics some time), and I got to meet a lot of great people.

It's nice having the Master Gardener title...it looks good on a resume and makes me more marketable for the future...but it is just a title after all. I have in no way 'arrived' because I am a MG....there's A LOT I have yet to learn about gardening that only experience can teach. It is a volunteer program after all, not some elite club for SuperGardeners that know everything.

I highly recommend the program....congrats Kathy on your progress...may your presentation and volunteer hours go well!

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for your post! I think you summed up the program very well. I definitely share your feelings too!

Regards,

Kathy

cwhit590 said:
Hey...how did I miss this thread?!?

I'm going on my second year as a certified Master Gardener! (well I have the title but I dunno if it's necessarily true :p) I would definitely recommend the program to anyone that is interested. It's a great way to expand your gardening knowledge, support your community, and network with other local gardeners.

I took the course at nights while I was working, but after I graduated from college....it was a way to continue my education I suppose. It was very do-able....coming from college classes, I didn't find it to be very hard academically - all of our quizzes and tests were open-book. I really enjoyed the lectures....we were able to hear from an assortment of local professionals that had years of expertise in their different fields. The classes were a great way to network for me, and the book I have now from the class is a wealth of information! It was a fun experience for me....I wish I enjoyed my college lectures as much as the MG lectures! :lol: The volunteer time went well too....got to give a presentation, redo a garden at my church (I'll have to share pics some time), and I got to meet a lot of great people.

It's nice having the Master Gardener title...it looks good on a resume and makes me more marketable for the future...but it is just a title after all. I have in no way 'arrived' because I am a MG....there's A LOT I have yet to learn about gardening that only experience can teach. It is a volunteer program after all, not some elite club for SuperGardeners that know everything.

I highly recommend the program....congrats Kathy on your progress...may your presentation and volunteer hours go well!