Who is buying seeds early...like me!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been picking up seeds for 2023 where I can find them. Let;s post about our experiences.
Jungs
I bought 450 Illini Xtra Sweet Corn, hybrid
and
Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin - 25 seeds, just bc.
Easy to use website, and the package came in with about a week. Since they are saving seed in Wisconsin, which is similar to my climate, I figured the seeds would do well.
Baker Creek
Chinese Red Noodle Bean
Taiwan Yard-Long Bean
King of the Garden Lima Bean
Cylindra Beet (Formanova Beet)
Cumin
Takane Ruby Buckwheat
Purpurea Echinacea
Cherokee Trail of Tears Bean
They sent me a free pack of seeds, which seems to be "the thing" now, but I forgot what they are.
Again, easy to use website, and the seeds were shipped in about a week.
Since they are saving seed in Missouri, which is similar to my climate, I figured the seeds would do well.
Burpee
VERY DISAPPOINTING!!
I got an email advertising a B1G1 seed sale. I tried 3x since last Thursday to get the site to accept any kind of an order. I ONLY tried again today bc an additional email said that the sale was extended one more day. I had to correct my Billing address twice, kept kickout out my corrections.
MOST of the seed that I was interested either wasn't available Yet, or sold out. I kept getting the message, "Notify me when seed is available." It wouldn't allow me to log in and give my email address. Very frustrating!
My online buying experience is that most places will allow you to order as GUEST, even if you have registered with them. I do this often with STAPES bc I have several accounts with them.
Burpee has been around for a LLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG time. IT people are worth their weight in gold. Maybe they should replace theirs.
I ended up ordering 2 packages of Impatiens seeds, ONLY bc I decided that I liked them better than wax begonias in my flower beds.
Anybody else got reports?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s not early, it’s just right! Waiting till spring is usually disappointing.
The latest i ever wait is Black Friday. The only thing i have to get later in the year is set onions but the seeds that are going to be produced this year have been So why wait? We only use Johnny’s and on rare occasion True Leaf Market. No drama; and just like them folks who have to beat someone at a red light; there’s a real sense of accomplishment having my seeds in the fridge and a smile on my face, before the snow’s here to stay!😊

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw your gorgeous little seed cabinet!! DD is antique shopping tomorrow and I have sent her a photo of yours to look for, for me!!
Just ordered More seeds, this time from Eden Bros. They had All of the seeds I was looking for at Burpees, and I got a good discount, too.
Eden Bros
Brussels Sprouts Seeds - Long Island Improved × 1 Packet @$4.20
Sweet Pepper Seeds - Yolo Wonder × 1 Packet @$4.50
Watermelon Seeds (Organic) - Crimson Sweet × 1 Packet @$5.99
Melon Seeds - Charentais × 1 Packet @$4.20
(I was Really wanting these!) :weee:weee:weee
Cost summary
Description Price
Item Total $18.89
Discount FREESHIPPING Free shipping off total order price
Subtotal $8.9
Shipping Free
Estimated taxes $1.40
Total USD $20.29
-------
I am NOT counting on my seed saving abilities for next year, although I hope to do well with the seeds that I am trying to save.
BTW, I got the free shipping from one of sign up coupons sites that I had downloaded. They will pop up and check out codes. In today's orders I saved 1/3 of the total. Shipping was nearly $10

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forgot that I ordered cherry tomatoes from Eden Bros.
Just picked them up from my P O Box.
We live in town but do not have mailboxes here.
Tomato Seeds - Red Cherry - Large × 1
Packet, $4.50
Lycopersicon esculentum
HEIRLOOM

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Jane23 Peruvian Purple is a great potato, very, very productive and much higher than average nutritional profile. Taste is excellent - for some dishes, like all potatoes. But more than all that, a challenge for people in colder climates like us, with long winters, can be storage; storage good enough to be able to plant your own stocks in May again. Most I've tried get too sprout-y and expire before plant out time. This one, shockingly, doesn't and I keep it stored at about 70 F in my basement. Way too warm for potatoes, but they do great anyway.

Russets I've read store pretty well too for the long term, but I don't like 'em. Too dry.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Jane23 Peruvian Purple is a great potato, very, very productive and much higher than average nutritional profile. Taste is excellent - for some dishes, like all potatoes. But more than all that, a challenge for people in colder climates like us, with long winters, can be storage; storage good enough to be able to plant your own stocks in May again. Most I've tried get too sprout-y and expire before plant out time. This one, shockingly, doesn't and I keep it stored at about 70 F in my basement. Way too warm for potatoes, but they do great anyway.

Russets I've read store pretty well too for the long term, but I don't like 'em. Too dry.
I am wintering my potato plants to see how they do. They are already covered in straw. I want them to survive, but I am Guessing they won’t.

My husband and I are planning on putting in a root cellar, so I can save most of the potatoes and sprout the ones I want.

It’s all a process. It just takes time.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am wintering my potato plants to see how they do. They are already covered in straw. I want them to survive, but I am Guessing they won’t.

My husband and I are planning on putting in a root cellar, so I can save most of the potatoes and sprout the ones I want.

It’s all a process. It just takes time.

have you ever grown potatoes from seed? i think it was @thejenx who was doing that and had pictures here...

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
have you ever grown potatoes from seed? i think it was @thejenx who was doing that and had pictures here...
I have not, but I would like to. I went looking for potato seeds last year and only found seed potatoes. I am trying to grow onions from seed, so why not potatoes? Yes, it takes longer, but maybe I can use the fall and the early part of the winter to establish them.

Maybe next fall. I found a couple of good places to shop for garden seeds etc.

Latest posts