Who is planting cool weather crops?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:caf Hot chocolate actually...

My Round Red Turnips are definitely getting round, and the same with my Watermelon Radish. The mixed greens that I took to seed for saving had dropped some seeds, and they are growing vigorously in with the Turnips and Radishes. The King Richard Leeks are slowly poking along, but that's ok, I just wanted them as baby Leeks when they get to that stage. The intermediate yellow mangel beets are slow, but I did harvest a couple Chioggia volunteer beets that had been growing under the peas. The Cylindra Beets will be ready anytime, actually at baby beet stage now. Oh, and the Scherazi Tobacco is a foot tall now. I set corralling stakes in for them, (actually old Amaranth and Sunflower stalks), and will put a round of low twine up probably tomorrow for them. I have them on fast grow mode. They were started with the peas and the peas overgrew them, but they bided their time. When I removed and harvested the peas there they were. Healthy but small. The 2 Hopi Tobacco plants at other spots are already blooming. Hopi Tobacco only grows a few feet tall. Scherazi Tobacco grows 6 or 7 feet and flowers with pink Petunia flowers clustered at the top. Hopi's flowers are small yellowish in several ball shaped clusters. Tobacco comes in several species. I am doing them as fall crops this year. I think it will work providing the continuous killing frosts in the mid 20's don't happen until mid November.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Since my last reply I've also planted lettuce, Little Marvel Peas, and a container of grocery store whole peas for pea shoots. I had a volunteer tomato(I think yellow pear) pop up so I moved it to a more convenient spot and planted my lettuce starts around it. I don't know if I'll get anything out of it but I'm thinking maybe It'll be useful as a lettuce shade. I broadcast lettuce seeds in two 4x4 beds and planted the peas along the back.

My cabbage should have sprouted by now so I'm thinking of reseeding directly in the garden, maybe some inside and some out and see what does better.

My Turnips and beets are coming up, and of everything else only one or two are sprouting. Hopefully that means the rest will come up within a few days. Still haven't planted the broccoli.

One thing definitely keeping me going is seeing all of your harvests! Keep the pictures coming! (on on-topic posts of course:lol:)

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I put some green beans and peas out... and got some spinach, kale, and lettuce in containers... even put in some winter wheat.... I get ambitious when planting... and sometimes I. Get lucky and it grows

Latest posts