Who plants peas for Presidents day?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not even sure where the heck I got it from but have been planting peas for Presidents Day for about 30 years now! Wow when I say that it is hard to believe I have been doing this for all this time! Even when there is snow or the ground is frozen I will put some in a pot just to be sure I do it ..I can not let a winter pass with out completing this one act!

Am I a superstitious woman? ..oh H E LL yes I am :) I think gardens and planting and growing are all very mystical .I can not figure it all out even after all this time ..reading ..research ...I still consider myself a complete novice each and every year...I can not even imagine being a gardener and not putting your faith in something that makes little sense but actually works so well to your benefit ..state of mind included..

I do not believe there are "experts" in the garden..there are very knowledgeable folks for sure..and I know we all think we have control and power ....but after I think the first 10 years of planting and growing I started getting REALLY humbled by the rewards and pitfalls of this wonderful way of life ... gardening to me is a complete adventure every year there is the unknown! ..so I have realized hedging my bets with ritual and superstition is not only fun ..but a really a good thing :)

Do you have seasonal traditions?

anything we do to further enhance our chances of making things grow beautifully for our pleasure and sustenance ...even if it makes no logical sense ...it is fun and worth sharing

you can invent a tradition now and pass it on you know :)

so my contribution and I am curious who else does this ...I should look it up because when I share this at work and other people always respond with "it's too early for that" or " cold" or "wet"
so join me if you want and lets

plant some peas on Presidents day for good luck!:throw

even if it is in a covered pot on a porch what harm can it do ..just do it! get that garden and your spirits flowing and growing!

pea shoots on the salads in March whooo hooo!!!!

along with the peas I am going to put in my onions ..some escarole ..more lettuce...and do other various things to the garden ..rain or shine (more likely rain considering where I live :p) ..I am going to be out there working this weekend

I am kind of hoping that I will recieve an espalier apple I have been lusting for ..from Cupid for this romantic day as well :fl

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only tradition I can recall for now is NOT taking no for an answer. Every time someone tells me that I cannot do that or no it is not the right time or it is impossible, I go ahead and do it. Not doing it is more of a failing. Life finds a way, and then I just have a hard head. :he

At this time of my life, I feel waiting for NEXT year or next time to do something is chancy. When you get older next year may never get here. I try to make everyday count. :frow

I think I "feel" the changing of the seasons with more passion now than ever before. :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... that is a huge superstition I have never heard of. I get scared one day I will get in the habit of something and it will become an obsession I will not be able to break. Just like you having to plant your peas.

As soon as I do something that brings me a lucky crop, or my neighbor starts swearing by some little thing or another... I'll do it! And I'll stick by it no matter what... that's just my personality... not so much a superstition.

Like I can't let my daughter go to bed at night without winding her music box. Its not her that asks for it or knows why... mama just needs to do it everynight.

(She spends the night at grandma's like twice a year, and I still wind the box while she's gone) :rolleyes:

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Never heard of that.
Around here though we traditionally plant our peas on
Saint Patrick's Day because by then we are itching to plant something and peas are the only thing that can go in that early around here so its the St. Patty's day peas.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm confused :hu --we live in Illinois, where we USED TO celebrate Lincoln's Birthday (that's February 12.....1809--for all of you "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" fans). Now, even here we celebrate "President's Day" on the 3rd Monday in February. :( So, when should I plants my PEAS?!?!?!?!? :/

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am confused about if it is Presidents (plural to be inclusive) I think that is right) or President's (giving honor to the presidents?) Day?

someone tell me I was talking my dear friend Hattie just this morning and could not figure out what was correct?

either way If you would like let's plant peas and call it good this weekend for anyone who wants to :)

V that is very sweet what you do for your daughter (and you!)

I grew up with everything being "good luck" or "bad luck" part of my ethnic heritage I swear I am correctable but not buy much!

I feel more excited about this weekend coming than any other holiday

I wonder if I will get my tree :) if not ..oh well I will only be depressed until I plant something else!

I googled "Pea's on Presidents Day" and came up with it being a Northwest saying but that is it ..if anyone finds anything more?

I started my marriage and gardening as a married woman back 30 years ago here but then ventured off so I must have heard it here and brought it with me while we traveled
I even planted peas on Presidents Day in Panama ..they failed to grow more than an inch but that was ok they grew!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on where you live....but my ag extension calendar says to plant them on the 17th outdoors, which is 2 days after Presidents' Day and happens to be Ash Wednesday. They go more by our last frost date than superstition though. :p For President's Day, they say prune your grapes! But once you get into February and March, just about every day has something you are supposed to be doing! :lol:

I do, however, plant my potatoes on St. Patrick's Day. Most folks around here say to do that. Works fine for me! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
gardening faith, in good part:

4989_lioncat.jpg

Steve

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Haven't, ever, done it, before. But, maybe, will this year....blackeyed peas, in honor of the national debt, unemployment and the economic disaster.....thank you, Washington.

Latest posts