Whole Foods: Products Will Carry GMO Labeling

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whole Foods stores have actually been making an effort to keep GMO food out of its' stores but in spite of that GMO ingredients keep sneaking in. Now they are taking a different tack. They will simply require that foods containing GMOs be labeled as such in order to be sold on its' shelves. If Monsanto or other companies producing GMO products consider them harmless it will be up to them to convince the public. Their strategy so far has required their opponents to prove they are harmfull rather than the companies proving they are harmless.
If you ate a GMO product and dropped dead in the aisle that would be easy to prove but if it takes several years of eating them to cause harm the relationship is all but impossible to prove. No controled studies ,of course, can be done using humans but the studies done on rats certainly raises a red flag.
http://healthland.time.com/2013/03/08/whole-foods-products-will-carry-gmo-labeling/

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't remember where I read it, but I saw an article that said Walmart is considering pushing for GMO labeling, as well. I think the article also mentioned Whole Foods. An agreement with the big growers was hinted at, therefore getting the labeling job done within their own parameters, which would be much less restrictive than a law that they fear will inevitably pass.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WAl Mart was the big driving force that got growth hormones out of milk when they announced all of their milk would be hormone free. Maybe they can do the same for GMO labeling.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my daughter recently told me about whole foods. i was so excited to hear about that. i wish there were one near me.
if i had little ones, this would be a lot bigger issue to me. i think it's irresponsible on their part to not label. when we have increasing rates of alzheimers, autism, add and a whole host of other diseases/syndromes that haven't prevelant in the past - what's to say something as simple as gmo aren't at least part of the culprit?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of the possible effects on children while the brain is still forming can be scary. Of course it's all anecdotal at this point and will remain so till The GMO companies run some honest tests. (I should live so long)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
How old are you now hoodat?

I, like I'm sure many or all of us here, hope you live many many more years!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
How old are you now hoodat?

I, like I'm sure many or all of us here, hope you live many many more years!
80 right now. I turn 81 in May. I don't worry about how long I have left; just try to enjoy every day I get.

Latest posts